What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dragoness

For the love of Science!
Pictures and Questions, that is!

Learned a few new things in a thread started by Jimscott, so I decided to make a new thread to show some pictures, and ask some questions. At any rate, I offered seeds from a plant that probably won't produce any viable seeds :blush: (not knowing any better - glad you guys were there to point that out!)

I'm a bit of a new hand at carnivores (only been keeping them for about 5 years, and only really picked up in the last 2 years or so.)

I guess one thing is a general query about the anatomy / fertility of "Tarnok" Flowers. I'm assuming, since it's a deformity, that they are all a little different. This is what mine looks like:

attachment.php

And, a peek under the skirt:
attachment.php

Updates on my bog garden plants out back - Pulled through this bitter Zone 5 winter just fine:
attachment.php

S. purpurea flower. I do have bumblebees on the property (A hive even) so the odds that this one got naturally pollinated are pretty high.

attachment.php

S. psitticina with LOTS of new pitchers.

attachment.php

S. purpurea pitchers, starting to color up nicely. Any input on which locale they might be? They were death-box rescues (This is actually my oldest carnivore! had it for 5 years or so! bought it at a Lowes in Florida.) At the moment, I am leaning towards it being a southern purple pitcher.

attachment.php

S. minor is off to a slow start, but better late than never.

attachment.php

VFT (normal, presumably, as it came from a grocery store) preparing to flower.

attachment.php

S. alata also seems happy and prolific.

Last edited:
Good looking P's, but I don't see any Q's :-O

What's up with 'Tarnok' flowers? I guess there is no good Q to put that into words, lol.

I know they are deformed, and everything, but I can't identify any part of it except maybe the ovary, twisted up in the middle. None of the 'petals' seem like they ate stigmas at all, and a violated that poor flower for quite a while trying to find one.

Just curiosity. I'm insatiable when I want to learn something, which is almost always.

Though I feel like they are visible in the photo, now that I take a closer look. The small points on the 'petals' hanging below the 'ovary'

Has anyone ever seen a 'tarnok' produce anthers/pollen?

I need more Leucs to play with. I think they are my favorites. I sense some attempts at crossing in the future.

What's up with 'Tarnok' flowers? I guess there is no good Q to put that into words, lol.

What's up with the flowers of 'Tarnok'? Well, its a mutation/deformity that has instructed the plant to make many copies of the sepals, cup-in-a-cup style at the expense of the other functioning flower parts. Although there have been reports of an occasional seed pod being formed, its very rare and seeds are often not viable. It is almost guaranteed that it will not make pollen. If you want to breed leucophyllas, find a normal (not mutated) form and work with that. The species makes some of the best hybrids out there. Look up the various cultivars of S. x 'Moorei'.

In anticipation of questions regarding the 'Tarnok' flower:
tarnok1copy_zpse0f03632.jpg

Normal Sarracenia flower anatomy - photo from Wikimedia commons
Englishtitles2-1.jpg

Last edited:
May I say, that ovary certainly has style! :-O

Never met a Leuc I didn't like.
Also looking into Leuc x jonesii "green", hurricane creek white, and a few others. I have seen 'candy'stripe' and they don't seem all that different than normal Leucs. But 'titan' is tempting as well.

I have heard/read about pollination and seed forming, but nothing so far about any successful germination from them. Kinda disappointing, actually.

Thank you Not a Number!

Never met a Leuc I didn't like.
Also looking into Leuc x jonesii "green", hurricane creek white, and a few others. I have seen 'candy'stripe' and they don't seem all that different than normal Leucs. But 'titan' is tempting as well.

I have heard/read about pollination and seed forming, but nothing so far about any successful germination from them. Kinda disappointing, actually.

The S. leucophylla X jonesii "anthocyanin free" variant is beautiful....not a hint of red in those pitchers, which gives the plant a very vibrant, fresh look. One of my favorite Sarracenia.
Sarracenia-leucophylla-x-Sarracenia-jonesii.jpg

The poster in the thread on CP UK forums I linked in the trading post thread had successful germination from 'Tarnok' hybrid seeds:
http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=17617&p=165531

Flowers and flower parts are essentially modified leaves. The 'Tarnok' flower appears to be missing both petals and stamens (filiments and anthers). These seem to develop as additional sepals instead. The ovaries and styles are also deformed when compared to "normal" Sarracenia flowers. There are often multiple styles.

Last edited:
This is my S. leucophylla X rubra "anthocyanin free"
BrJiAjyCAAQUayI.jpg:large

Pretty!

Back