What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

leaf pulling project.

Top is. Cephalotus. And bottom is dioneae m. Ginormous. And im keeping them in a kfc go cup with holes on the bottom and filled with perlite. The go cup with its top holds great humidity. Wish me luck!

Good Luck!

A few things you might consider.

It looks like you've got the pot sitting in sunlight with a humidity dome over the top. That's a bad idea. The sun will cook those leaf cuttings / pullings in very short order. It's much better to put pullings under artificial light on a 16 hour photo period. I'm not saying it can't be done in sunlight, but very bright artificial light works much better at keeping light high and heat low. A few inches under a 6500K florescent light works wonders.

Next, the perlite: I'm no Cephalotus expert but for sure Dionaea (and I presume Cephalotus as well(?)) will do much much better in soaked LFS or peat.

If you end up not getting any strikes with these leaves you might consider making the above changes for your next leaf pulling project.

Thank you. I only give them morning sun and take them in after a couple hours. But that pic was when just put the leaf in. And as for the dionaea i have a couple clones in with the mother plant. Its a project, and ive seen successful leaf pullings with only perlite so i decided to give it a try. Heres my dionaea ginormous clones

Good luck with your project, but I agree with ramdacc's recommendations. There's no need to reinvent the wheel on Ceph propagation. As for media, I got good rooting recently from a LFS/perlite/sand blend.

Ok u guys convinced me. Whats lfs stand for sorry im new to lingo.

LFS is long fiber sphagnum. In other words: long, dead strands of sphagnum moss. Most orchid and CP shops should sell it in large bags

Last edited:
Ahh ok. Well i put the lfs on the bottom and a mix of %50 peat, perlite, and pumice. Is this an ok or better setup?

haha I always go to KFC just for the domes on the to-go cups!

Rite. Arent they perfect to start off seedlings.

Back