What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

seeds germed and planted...

how long till i'd see sprouts? its been 3 months

It would greatly help to know what seeds they are

Sarracenia are temperate plants native to the US, and experience cold winters. Because of this, the seeds grow best after a simulated winter (this is called "cold stratification"). They should be kept in a bag with moist peat moss or sphagnum moss in the fridge (not freezer) for 4 weeks. Don't keep them too wet though, it can kill the seeds.

A few of the seeds might grow without stratification but you'll get better germination rates with it. If you already stratified, then just wait. Three months seems much longer than usual, however.

For more info, read here: http://www.carnivorousplants.org/howto/Propagation/SarraceniaSeed.php

Out of curiosity, did you use rain water/distilled water or tap?

distilled water & they were in fridge, its this product http://shop.dunecraft.com/p/carnivorous-creations?pp=24 (which i found out later that putting them in domes is bad) so what i did is seed packet one after germed was put in plastic pot and mixed with another germ disc and spagum moss covered with plastic wrap (only had red at the time) and sit on sunny shelf inside my patio and the other seeds packet in another pot with same mix, both has small blue stones on top, about a week ago i did remove them pasltic wrap, btw wonder do i need the pots to sit in a inch or so of water, or only when they get bigger?

Put them in a dish of water. Top watering can wash the seeds deep into the middle of the soil and kill them.

Also, Dunecraft products have a pretty bad reputation. The seed viability is questionable at best, and there is a lot of misinformation on the packaging. I wouldn't expect too much, but maybe you'll be lucky and get a few good ones.

Put them in a dish of water. Top watering can wash the seeds deep into the middle of the soil and kill them.

Also, Dunecraft products have a pretty bad reputation. The seed viability is questionable at best, and there is a lot of misinformation on the packaging. I wouldn't expect too much, but maybe you'll be lucky and get a few good ones.

ugh, yeah maybe dunecraft did kill them, the seeds are about half way under the soil mix with more mix on top as i was told to do that. so to late, or any suggestions what do do with them now?

If you want to, you can plant them on the surface, but most people have extremely low germination rates from Dunecraft seeds. Otherwise, just buy mature plants of the species that you wanted in the kit. All of them are pretty common so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting some. Growing from seedlings is very hard if you are just starting out anyway, and they take a while to grow to flowering size.

Dunecraft will send you more seeds if you tell them nothing germinated.

...just buy mature plants of the species that you wanted in the kit. All of them are pretty common so you shouldn't have too much trouble getting some. Growing from seedlings is very hard if you are just starting out anyway, and they take a while to grow to flowering size.

I couldn't agree more. Growing carnivorous plants from seed is not the easiest thing in the world, and if it's a common plant like this you're just better off buying a mature plant.

Back