Informational! Informational!:  9
Likes Likes:  19
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus cube display piece

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guys, you should have finished reading the first page of the thread. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by Jcal View Post
    You can get those cubes from hobby lobby. I used them for tarantulas and other critters. They are with the other display cases. A few holes can be drilled in the tops to provide some airflow.

A beautiful setup! Would make a great little gift, if you could get all the components together.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katya_dog1 View Post
    Guys, you should have finished reading the first page of the thread. See below.

A beautiful setup! Would make a great little gift, if you could get all the components together.
    Does Hobby Lobby still sell them? I checked their website and can't find them.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by katya_dog1 View Post

Thanks. Unfortunately something is off in the conditions atm. I am still trying to get it all optimal.

The pitchers in this above pic are all gone. The plant seems to be ok...but definitely the pitchers seem to be drying out very fast. I am growing some VFTs in the LID of this cube ... lol...so I have to repot them to get back the lid and see if bringing back the humidity will help. Even these home-made acrylic walls don't seem to be helping much in keeping the humidity in.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Craft stores in general don't have good websites. I'd recommend going to the store and checking.
    Sarracenia Addicted... Lover of all toothed Nepenthes.
    The right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed. ~ The Second Amendment

Keep it that way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just checked Michaels and Hobby Lobby. Both don't sell them anymore.
    "I may be on the side of angels, but do not mistake me for one."

Wolfn's Growlist

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not looked but have been told that stores catering to collectors of trading cards (baseball, football, et cetera) and such commonly carry such and in a wide array of sizes.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is an update... long after.

It is truly a stunted ceph. This is a perfect example of too much light. The slowest growing plant in my collection. Look at the dates ... its insane on how stunted this plant is. The pitchers get light burn... the moss gets light burn. I had to cover the sides to prevent moss from dying due to humidity loss. I used the lid for growing VFTs elsewhere. lol

So I cut up plexiglass and used it to raise the sides...make a open "tank" concept. I REALLY REALLY love the slope the moss has formed. Just beautiful in my eyes...but I need to re-do this. The concept is good..but the plant is just not growing well enough. I am planning on using a bonsai pot or something. I just need a nice idea to hang the light. I really hate the wires on which I am supporting them. Need a proper Apple-eque beautiful simple design.

MAY 2015:

June 2015: When I added the side walls to conserve humidity in the local microclimate of the ceph

Light supports

July 2015

October 2015

1 year later: October 2016: Holy crap.. one year already

NEW UPDATE AS OF TODAY:

An update to this setup. Things didn't go as well as I would want to..and it doesn't look as well as I want to. So, I have updated my setup. Thanks to some inspiration from a German grower, I have used a bonsai pot. So lets see how this works out. I am also happy with the fixture arm. If only I knew how to weld properly and how to bend/straighten wires cleanly. Not happy with the stupid looking wire to hold the LED heatsink.

Last edited by vraev; 11-14-2016 at 07:10 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cool!

Sent from my SM-G935V
    Wishlist:
    N. Jacquelineae
    Byblis Aquatica
    D. Fulva
    D. coccicaulis
    D. Ramentacea