Informational! Informational!:  9
Likes Likes:  19
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast

Thread: Cephalotus cube display piece

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really interesting that most of the Cephs I've seen being grown under high R/B LED lighting are coloring up more pink compaired to the white LEDs being more red/purple. Still too small a sample size to say that is the cause but it might be something.

If you wanted to get really crazy you could get one of these Amazon.com: Intelligent Plant Light - Indoor Grow Light: Home Improvement and remove the silly 9W bulb and wire in your LEDs. It would be an expensive cosmetic upgrade but it does adjust for day length throughout the year

Like the bonsai pot, never tried that. I have grown them on just driftwood before. They never really rotted into anything just attached to the contantly moist driftwood with just a handful of roots.

by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's easy enough to do that manually. I set up a schedule for myself to adjust my light timers (15 minute increments) to match the natural changes in day length.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    Like the bonsai pot, never tried that. I have grown them on just driftwood before. They never really rotted into anything just attached to the contantly moist driftwood with just a handful of roots.
    That's interesting that you've grown them on those media. Does that mean they're more tolerant of other compounds in their growing substrate, such as minerals that might leach from the bonsai pot? Or are you using a fully glazed pot or treating it in some other way? Similarly, would driftwood be pretty neutral, expecting that most of the "stuff" that would mess with a CP has been degraded and leached out through sun/water exposure?

I think those offer up some really neat planting ideas...I have pings in a bonsai pot with an un-glazed interior, but that's because I knew they could tolerate some slightly higher mineral content.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cephs are alot more tolerant than people given them credit for, check out those finicky cephs ;), I've tried the cheapest Miracle Grow garden soil I could find and have grown a few plants in it. Nothing close to Av8tor1's results but they grew just fine.

I don't think anything would leach out of a bonsai pot that would bother a Ceph, but have never personally tried it.

I bet most of the Ceph deaths are more an issue of watering inconsistencies than a medium problem, I've used alot of really odd stuff over the years

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is really interesting that most of the Cephs I've seen being grown under high R/B LED lighting are coloring up more pink compaired to the white LEDs being more red/purple. Still too small a sample size to say that is the cause but it might be something.

If you wanted to get really crazy you could get one of these Amazon.com: Intelligent Plant Light - Indoor Grow Light: Home Improvement and remove the silly 9W bulb and wire in your LEDs. It would be an expensive cosmetic upgrade but it does adjust for day length throughout the year

Yea Randall. Although, I need to post up a picture of them under white light to properly show the colour. Under the purple (red+UV) leds, it tends to fluoresce a bit more...hence I enjoy this combo. The plants look very cool. Same with the inside of the VFT. It looks like it is glowing.

That is pretty cool fixture .. but as you said $50USD is too much for it. Mine ended up being $20 with all the materials and some experience on what I should do next time. I think I can avoid the heatsink altogether and glue the LED to the aluminium bar. I should have thought of it in the past. haha. My ultimate idea is to perhaps do some 3D printing and make a nice housing for the heatsink. But all things considered, I am happy how it looks .. the matte black paint really makes it look nice. If only I could get those wires holding up the heatsink to be straight and clean....haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rabna View Post
    That's interesting that you've grown them on those media. Does that mean they're more tolerant of other compounds in their growing substrate, such as minerals that might leach from the bonsai pot? Or are you using a fully glazed pot or treating it in some other way? Similarly, would driftwood be pretty neutral, expecting that most of the "stuff" that would mess with a CP has been degraded and leached out through sun/water exposure?

I think those offer up some really neat planting ideas...I have pings in a bonsai pot with an un-glazed interior, but that's because I knew they could tolerate some slightly higher mineral content.

Cephs are alot more tolerant than people given them credit for, check out those finicky cephs ;), I've tried the cheapest Miracle Grow garden soil I could find and have grown a few plants in it. Nothing close to Av8tor1's results but they grew just fine.

I don't think anything would leach out of a bonsai pot that would bother a Ceph, but have never personally tried it.

I bet most of the Ceph deaths are more an issue of watering inconsistencies than a medium problem, I've used alot of really odd stuff over the years
    I agree with RSS here.. Cephs are way more tougher than what we assume. My only ceph death was due to water logging/lack of air circulation/heat in the plant tray. That caused them to suddenly decline while the growth above soil stayed good...underneath, the plant died. In terms of media, they are pretty tolerant. Regarding mineral leeching.. most of these pots are unglazed on the inside yes...but considering the amount of water that will be running through the pot, I don't think it will be much of an issue. BTW..the idea for bonsai pot is from Martin Hingst a german grower. If you see his flickr account..you can see some spectacular shots of what he has achieved with a bonsai pot.

THis is his plant:

https://flic.kr/p/MLjbgw

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pretty awsome project you have going guys, just learned a few things i didn't know about cephs.
    Ive only had mine a couple of weeks and they are still tiny, but are puting out new growth. I would like your permission to use some of your ideas in the future if you dont mind. Nice cephs by the way.

Just Fuzzy

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just read through this whole thread, and I'm thinking of ways to do something similar already.

First off, I like your scissors too. Also, I'm a pretty good welder. So if you are interested in changing your stand up still let me know. I'm always up for helping people out. I'm thinking you could run a "v" channel from the top of the stand down to where ever the wires exit out. It's hard to see how the lights are attached too to figure that part out.

Most of the first attempt inside the box was trying to get humidity up. Then you went to open air, may I ask why? If I overlooked it somewhere I apologize. Or was that solely done because of the reflection of the light being too intense, and causing burning?

Both setups are beautiful! I seem to have got stuck on the display case idea though. And out comes the stubborn side of me. Lol.

Boarderlib's grow list : Grow Lists
    Boarderlib's Fly trap photos : Photos of Venus Fly Traps

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is a pity that you live so far away.
    I need something like this light setup for my ceramic landscapes. Humidity might be a problem too with my setup. It stays easily in one inch of water all the time. No problem on my window sill with the radiator underneath in the winter for my Drosera. It might be tricky with my Cephalotus.
    Here are the existing pieces out of ceramic. Some are now in the third year.
    Ceramic environments for carnivorous plants and others.

Here is the oldest one some month ago.
    Last edited by axel; 11-17-2016 at 01:11 PM.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456789 LastLast