What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus cube display piece

vraev

Carnivorous plant enthusiast
Admin
Hi guys,

I wanted to make a nice little living room display piece with a Cephalotus follicularis. Here is what I have accomplished so far. I must say I did not expect it to go down this route. I thought it will definitely crash before getting here. I will hopefully update this thread with updates in the future.

Materials:
Acrylic box with a hole drilled for drainage, ceph, media, lamp

14578866677_2de686449e_z.jpg
14785192933_25514cb3f9_z.jpg

14762966284_dd2a46948b_z.jpg
14578864657_199684e63a_z.jpg

14765320905_9827ed9061_z.jpg
14578860307_595e333dc6_z.jpg

3 months ago, added some red live sphagnum moss as a thin top dressing

Now: 4 months later....

14578663659_aaf1a1ae51_z.jpg
14765304305_38d68e149b_z.jpg

14765300945_1b7d1b1618_b.jpg

cheers,

Varun

Last edited:
I love the simple set up.

I may have to try something similar.

It's very pretty. Would look great in an office or something.

I just ordered a cehpaltous and was going to throw it outside. After seeing this I am really reconsidering, where did you get the acrylic box? thanks1

I just ordered a cehpaltous and was going to throw it outside. After seeing this I am really reconsidering, where did you get the acrylic box? thanks1

It looks like one of the old "Death-cubes" before they transitioned to the flimsy sheet-plastic boxes. I used to have a few like that.

I still have the cube my original S. purp came in. Not sure why. But, yes, it looks like one of those.

You can get those cubes from hobby lobby. I used them for tarantulas and other critters. They are with the other display cases. A few holes can be drilled in the tops to provide some airflow.

You can get those cubes from hobby lobby. I used them for tarantulas and other critters. They are with the other display cases. A few holes can be drilled in the tops to provide some airflow.

Oh good! I have one of those stores nearby, and I can think of some uses for containers like those. Thanks.

Btw it's a beautiful setup. Consider the idea stolen. I had a few leaf pulls that I was going to get rid of. I will make a few of these instead.

What's the wattage on that CFL and how long do you leave it on for? I would have been worried about overheating, but it's obviously not been an issue!

Last edited:
Thanks all. The box is from a store called solutions. Its a store similar to Bed Bath & Beyond. There are a variety of acrylic boxes used as trophy cases. This is s 4" wide box. The CFL is a 26watt sunblaster brand full spectrum bulb. I will next order one of those DIY LED kits and build a replacement light fixture that is smaller.

I've bought containers like that at Tap Plastics in Northern CA. Used a couple of the bottoms for water trays that hang and was planning on making terrariums out of the others!

You did a great job!!!

Where do you get red sphagnum? I've never seen it before!

Thanks. The red sphagnum is local. Its from our local candian supplier Hawaiian botanicals in Vancouver, BC.

I also wanted to add how appropriate the red sphagnum was. It provides an excellent contrast to the plant itself, and the end result is simply gorgeous. Thank you for sharing Vraev.

Thanks Zath. Remember guys, red sphagnum is very unpredictable...it almost never stays red....atleast in my conditions. A variety of variables such as pH, temperature (lower) and high light is necessary (in my opinion) for the colour. Not to mention, I think based on my experience with the planted aquarium hobby, iron and other micro nutrients may also play an important role in the colour.

gorgeous set up. I might need to try something like this :)

gorgeous set up. I might need to try something like this :)

For sure. Its a good variation on the death cube concept.

Back