What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Trichoderma source?

CorneliusSchrute

A leuco by any other name would still be as glutto
So I am thinking of buying a product called Botanicare, a combination of trichoderma and endomychorrizal fungi from an online source. Anyone have experience with this product? I am wanting to use itbon Heliamphora and Sarracenia.

I am also thinking about buying a product from a popular online auction site. It is said to contain Trichoderma konigii and harzianum.

Thoughts on either? Both are packaged by the ounce and sell for around $10 shipped for that portion. Fair? How far would that amount go?

I use a similar product called Great White with those same Trichoderma species. A little bit goes a long way.

I can attest that Great White is a great product.

Good to know. Thanks!

What method do you use to mix and apply the product you use? Also, to what plants do you apply it?

I just mix the product as directed and generously water the pots to saturation. I use it monthly on all my Nepenthes and Heliamphora.

Last edited:
Joseph Clemens reports good results with the product RootShield

Another popular product is from AmPac Inc.
http://www.ampacbiotech.net/

Please be sure to read all warnings on the literature for these products. For instance the AmPac website cautions against the use of their product if there is an active fungal infection.

It is good to see that there is a wide selection from which to choose. As far as reapplying the product: it shouldn't ever be necessary, right? Until repotting time or unforeseen circumstances occur, of course.

That is also interesting about the active infection warning, too. I could see how that could cause problems.

The AmPac directions say to reapply periodically. A predator could wipe out its food sources.

Pardon my ignorance, but what is the benefit of Trichoderma? My own experiences growing mushrooms have taught that Trich is the devil.

A negative association with Trich in terms of mushroom culture is to be expected, I'd imagine. Evidently Trich is a predatory fungus that destroys other fungi. Obviously beneficial for plants that are sensitive to fungal attack and a problem when raising mushrooms.

Products like Great White mentioned above also contain mycorrhizal fungi and beneficial bacteria to aid root development. I thought Sarrraciniacae -- and all carnivorous plants for that matter -- were non-mycorrhizal though.

A negative association with Trich in terms of mushroom culture is to be expected, I'd imagine. Evidently Trich is a predatory fungus that destroys other fungi. Obviously beneficial for plants that are sensitive to fungal attack and a problem when raising mushrooms.

Products like Great White mentioned above also contain mycorrhizal fungi and beneficial bacteria to aid root development. I thought Sarrraciniacae -- and all carnivorous plants for that matter -- were non-mycorrhizal though.

Ok that makes sense. I think these products might have some benefits for some of the touchier terrestrial orchids which rely heavily on an association with mycorrhizal fungi to obtain nutrients.

I don't suppose similar products are available at Lowes, Home Depot, or Orchard Supply Hardware? Searches for "trichoderma" on their websites show no results.

You can find some of these in hydroponics stores. AmPac only sells direct I believe. Check their website for contact info or contact TF member True424.

Try a Google search on the product name, find their website and check where to buy, but the search will turn up many places that sell the product.

Update: purchased some Great White online. I will try to update when pertinent.

Back