What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Please help identifying an issue with a dying Cephalotus

tumblr_nchen5x06v1s5itlso1_400.jpg

I am currently having trouble keeping my cephalotus alive, and I was hoping someone could help me identify the issue. I believe it may be fungus but I am not sure.

You need to describe your growing conditions in detail before anyone can begin to offer you a diagnosis/solution.

Um, I try to water it every day, it's in a western windowsill, so it has adequate sunlight through the midday till evening, it still has the same medium that it came with (Sphagnum moss and sand).

The moss growing alongside your plant is brown and dead. It is suggesting to me that your plant dried out severely at some point. Could this be the case?

Do you water from the top or bottom? Do you have any recent pictures (within the past week) that show it in its healthy state?

Last edited:
is there a specific way to water them? I always just flood the top and from the top and let it drain.

It is likely. I had to let a friend take care of it while I was in Chicago for a week. I have more pictures of it though, which shows why I thought it was fungus.
tumblr_nchfhzuc2o1s5itlso1_250.jpg

I typically water it from the top, as for pictures of when it was doing well, I do not. But all of its pitchers and leaf growth were green.

I figured as much. For moss to have died, the entire pot must have been dry for an extended length of time. The green growing point means there is a slight chance that the Ceph can recover from whatever energy it's got in its rhizome.

When plants undergo drought shock, their roots are injured. The greatest threat, if your plant hasn't died, is that the injuries allow root pathogens into the plant. The best protocol is to fungicide at this point. But I can tell you as a professional horticulturist that the appropriate fungicides would cost more than your plant.

For now I recommend that you not overreact by psychotically overwatering the plant. Some people are tempted to do that after a plant dries out, but in reality the damage has already been done. The best procedure would be to just keep an average, stable soil moisture level. Don't let any water stagnate around this plant or it will allow diseases to develop. Do not enclose it in an overly humid environment either for the exact same reason. Basically, you want to give it a stay in optimal, plant-hospital conditions for a while. Don't move it around or stress it in any way.

The plant will want to rebuild its lost roots, and in a week or so, begin some dilute foliar feeding from a spray bottle.

You dilute a chemical fertilizer like MaxSea or MiracleGro or DynaGro (any type can be used) by 1/4 the recommended rate. Use measuring spoons and a gallon jug. Never guesstimate.

Then put the dilute mixture into a spray bottle and spray it on your plant's leaves until it starts to run off. This feeds your plant without getting any fertilizer into the soil or onto the roots. Plus, I recommended this because your Ceph's roots may be damaged and therefore wouldn't take up fertilizer in the soil anyway.

Foliar feeding is a great thing to do on a regular basis once a week during the growing season, and once every month or two during dormancy.

Back