What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Cephalotus follicularis collection

All I know about the Squat clone would be from the late Dennis Hastings website that is no longer up. It is probably the only Ceph that when it is producing larger pitchers you can actually pick it out in a line up. Well that and the banana one, assuming the banana clone is stable. The Squat seems to be stable, and does not seem to require specific conditions to grow its clone traits. I will say from my experiences and a few other veteran Ceph growers that Squat seems to be a weaker clone and prone to more problems, harder to grow from leaf pulls, ect.

"Cephalotus follicularis "Squat" - "The “Squat” pitcher tends to be wider than the typical pitcher giving it a squatter appearance. The smaller pitchers on this plant have the shape of a bullet with a more rounded bottom."

assuming the banana clone is stable.

Yep it is stable and doesn't need special conditions to get its shape.

I will say from my experiences and a few other veteran Ceph growers that Squat seems to be a weaker clone and prone to more problems,

I can say exactly the opposite. I find Squat stronger and that clone perfectly passed the test in my conditions since some plants were solid frozen and ended up with no damage compared to other Cephs...

harder to grow from leaf pulls

I tried with 4 leaves and all 4 rooted, so I would say it is quite easy to root Squat from leaf cuttings, moreover each leaf produces several growing points, but yeah I agree the plants from leaf cuttings grow extremely slow like snail. although they are already a year old.

So Is the banana clone a plant we can get or is it a clone that like 3 ppl in the world have and that's it

Link to some photo's http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51153

To the best of my knowledge it is a newer one so it is unlikely you would be able to get it in the US now, unless you knew the right people.

When it comes to the really rare stuff people tend to not let out they have them, a lot of peoples collections have been stolen in the past :-(. So it is much harder to figure out what is actually in the US than it would otherwise be.

is it a clone that like 3 ppl in the world have and that's it

In fact only 2 - me and the originator Piacenti Erio.

However,

The plant was selected in 2013 by Italian grower Piacenti Erio. In Early 2011,wanting to expand his large Cephalotus collection, he purchased four small seedlings from Ebay labelled as Cephalotus “Eden Black x self”. Over the passage of time Piacenti noticed that one of the four seedlings had unusual shaped pitchers. He separated this plant from the others and started growing it in a separate pot. Being a good friends with Erio he showed me the plant when it first started producing semi-adult pitchers. I was very impressed and instantly recognised the uniqueness of the characteristic pitcher shape. After a year of care under Piacenti’s conditions the plant not only kept that shape but it continued to show its true potential and uniqueness. Such pitcher shape characteristics are not shown in any of the other three clones from which it was separated, nor any other clone in Piacenti's collection.
The plant has easily distinguishable characteristics from other Cephalotus clones in that the pitchers are elongated, hooked upward – resembling a banana shape, with wide middle rib at the base of fully mature pitchers. Even the small juvenile pitchers show hooked upward form. In mature pitchers, the peristome is large; reminiscent to those of Cephalotus ‘Dudley Watts’ – which could possibly, but not necessarily, be the result of cross pollination involving this clone somewhere along its lineage. Under optimum lighting conditions the pitcher colour is dark brown red. The lid of the pitchers is domed and the colour under it is deep to very deep burgundy red under optimum lighting conditions.
However, colouration does not form part of this clones unique characteristics, as with all Cephalotus this can vary greatly under different growing conditions, rather it is the pitcher shape that makes this clone unique..
In my growing conditions, where I grow many Cephalotus clones, this clone shows faster growth than many of them. My growing conditions differ from those of Piacenti's and my division from the mother plant has the same distinctive characteristic shape.
This clone to date has never been propagated in tissue culture (in-vitro), with all those currently in cultivation being vegetative leaf cuttings from the mother plant. All the resultant plants showing the same unique characteristics.

Hope that helps and I wrote that, ppl not to guess and not urban legends to occur around that clone...

This clone I'll give to Pokie22, so it will be available in USA...

Last edited:
Wow well Pokie22 just became the luckiest Cephalotus farmer in North America. :-))

Wow thanks dnd that's the most info I've found about it online and being that new I see y not to many ppl have it and I respect that u plan to give it to some ppl and not hoard it

Thanks for the info, I wish that much info was available for other clones.

This is one of the few Cephs I think should be registered and named after a few years has pasted and enough info from the original growers is gathered.

Back