What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

my Cephalotus follicularis collection

I thought I should show everyone my Cephalotus follicularis collection

This is my phill Mann clone and my favorite

And these are my typicals that where planted in lfsm and I just transplant it in peat and a little perlit I hope it grows better now

And this is my newest ceph double ribbed this is my first one from a leaf pulling

Last edited by a moderator:
From my understanding (Which is little) pure peat is an awful mix for any carnivorous plant, especially Cephalotus which need extreme drainage. Ive seen people plant them in almost entirely pebbles.

That aside, your plants look great :)

Good looking plants! In time they will grow into monsters. The soil mix will depend more on your setup and watering schedule. It may take while for you to find what works perfect for you. Don't be afraid of trial and error. I've seen cephs grown in everything from pure sand to pure miracle gro peat! Some even more exotic. Not saying those are the best long term soils but don't be so picky about your mixes.

If you have questions you know how to find me!

Agree with JCal: The right medium for your plants is highly situational. I'm lazy, and I don't want to have to top water plants every day. My Cephs grow in a mix that's largely orchid bark, with some peat/sand mix, perlite and a bit of LFS thrown in. They also grow in net pots with the interior lined with landscape fabric to keep everything in. In this very airy mix and setup, they thrive sitting in water constantly.

A denser mix in a plastic pot in these conditions likely wouldn't work.

From my understanding (Which is little) pure peat is an awful mix for any carnivorous plant, especially Cephalotus which need extreme drainage. Ive seen people plant them in almost entirely pebbles.

That aside, your plants look great :)

From the "Don't try this at home file"

Here is a Ceph growing in free flowing slow water, it was always wet, not moist, wet. It never grew well but it grew. I have been moving my Cephs toward a more inorganic, airy medium over the years. Although I've been rooting leaves in Seed Starting Sponges recently with very good results. Cephs are not as picky as alot of people claim imo.
Cephalotus Typical by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Last edited:
That's crazy with my typical it was staying to wet I thought the I need more light to then what light is that ceph under rss

That's crazy with my typical it was staying to wet I thought the I need more light to then what light is that ceph under rss

That one was under some older T5s, it really needed more light and less water for optimal growth. Was more of an experiment than anything.

My vertical growing Cephalotus is grown in pure peat, standing in a saucer of water. Note how the pitchers higher up, therefore dryer, are smaller:

44d9b40376ccb3de83c1c89eb672ab23.jpg

Nice Ceph's guys,These plants just fascinate me with the way they look.Nothing else on earth looks even close.

Wow mobile I really. Love that set up lol

madmacks420 yay there my favorite co as well got all mine in like 4 months lol I just bought. A new one to after. Telling myself. I wasn't getting More till spring lol

Hello everyone I thought I would update this thread well I lost my double ribbed and my typical awhile back and got 2 more and my newest is a C. 'Hummer's Giant' I've wanted this clone since I got the deceased typical

Last edited by a moderator:
And here's my coal mine beach seedling making a good recovery

And here is the only one of my first 3 my Phill Mann this cone seems vary hardy

I got a couple more today

And the last on I got today

Good luck caring for so many new arrivals. I hope to see them all flourish in your care.

Nice cephs jwalker! Good luck with them.

Just a minor naming correction, the Emu Point Giant should just be Emu Point as they are just a location grow seed until someone added the extra word. Somewhere around the forums there is more info about the addition. They are like the Coal Mine Beach ones, a location data Ceph that could likely be many clones with the same name.

Something around Ceph. Location Emu Point would be much better, unless there is reason you believe you have a "giant" seed grown location data plant from that area. The ones origination from BigBella, Dennis Hastings, Myself, or Leilani Nepenthes are very likely the same clone and while one of the best growers for me have never shown any "giant" tendencies.

Here is one reference on the this one, more info is on the forums somewhere about it.

Cephalotus follicularis location Emu Point, Albany AU (Also know as Emu Point and/or Emu Point Giant) -

"Quote Originally Posted by BigBella View Post

The three "Emu Point" plants that I had provided Dennis Hastings, originated from leaf pulls that had either been grown on compost; or else, developed in vitro from that same tissue, from a single, wild-collected plant, taken legally (for the benefit of the inquisition that occasionally rears its head on TF) from the border of a parkland and cattle-grazing area. Some seed had also been collected; but those plants were never part of that initial shipment. Apparently, there had been some confusion there.

Many of my plants have produced larger than "average" pitchers; though I have still had "typical" plants, from time to time, produce 2.5-3" leaves -- more a function of age and health, in my opinion, than the provenance of any particular cultivar or clone . . ."

From Dennis Hastings old Website.

"I have added this plant as an unusual clone because of the history it was given. This plant was seed grown from a mother plant originating in the Emu point region of southern Australia. It has been said the parent plant produced pitchers as large as three inches. Since this has been seed grown, there in no way to emphatically state this plant will grow up to be a giant also. I will keep this plant updated in a set of images to let you know how it does.

I have since learned from the person I received the plant from, that the pitchers on the seed grown plants get to about 2.5 inches tall." Source http://thecephalotus.info/html/unusual__clones_.html"

The website is no longer being maintained, but I transcribed all the information in this thread, http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/134965-Cephalotus-consolidated/page4.

Thanks guys I love these little plant there my favorite cp for shore

I've only got 3 new plants this month lol but seriously theses first months are always stress full

Rss thanks for the info I was aware that it is a location that is why I got it I'm more interested in location plants and I'm pretty shore it came from one of them ppl u mention and that tag came with it So I'm really not shore why do u know enything about squat

Back