What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Drool - Literally

Ever since I build this http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...lotus-grow-space-would-love-input!?highlight= the Cephs growing in there have been getting a water line on there ribbed mouth. I'm growing them with household humidity (low) in a watering tray with fans running during the night. I have Cephs growing in probably 20 other conditions and none are doing this any ideas what is triggering this?

I provide no overhead or pitcher watering, the only watering comes from the watering tray. So the plant itself is doing this.

Here are some random photo from various clones to try and give a good cross reference.

I'm seeing it as a positive response. Most of them I moved to take a better photo and in doing so I lost alot of the "drool".
DSC_0736 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_0737 by randallsimpson, on Flickr
DSC_0738 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

This one I did not move so all the "drool" is intact.
DSC_0740 by randallsimpson, on Flickr

Very interesting. Is it nectar, have you tasted it?

Red my Phil Mann is doing the same thing and I water the same way my pitcherare filling up with water I'm guessing it's a way of attracting pray

It's almost certainly nectar, cephs produce it much the same way other pitcher plants do. It tends to hang around more if the humidity is higher of course, but if they're happy they may just produce enough to keep a wet line there. Wonder if Cephalotus nectar has any of the anesthetic properties Nepenthes and Sarracenia nectar does.....

how big do cephalotus get? I just got my sweet new LED lights set up and was thinking of getting one. I mostly grow just sundews in my terrarium and think a ceph would be a really cool addition as long as they dont get too big.

They can get quite large, as you can see from this post:

http://ocps.proboards.com/post/65184/thread

Unless you're growing outside, shouldn't be a worry!

I have two - one in an east bay window under 2 x 4' T5HO lights, the other is in a south window. Only the ceph under the lights drools. The other is content but I'm a bit far north to be growing cephs under natural light...

Back