What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Helis

You might get away with heterodoxa x minor or similar crosses, but 65 is not highland.

I gave it a shot I've got 3 plants going since April, I got them in a humidity dome and at night I throw frozen water bottles in there and I've gotten it down to 57 that way.. but with the recent Month long heatwave it was close to 80 in the day and 65 at night and they haven't skipped a beat.. 2 minors and one is a heterodoxa x minor,

H. minor has sent up a flower stalk...which I will surely fail to pollinate as usual
H. minor by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
H. neblinae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
I sold off almost the entire plant of this cross about a year and a half ago, kept one tiny little offshoot with immature pitchers just because...now it needs dividing again
H. heterodoxa x minor by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
This thing I don't know if I'll ever want to divide it
H. exappendiculata "Araopan Tepui" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
H. exappendiculata "Araopan Tepui" by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
H. 'Red Mambo' by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

I vote for keep it intact. :) Love that velvet look

Love that red mambo and exappendiculata! Speaking about the Nutans here; do you know where you got it? I wonder if the seller has a history or if the person you got it from got it from a questionable source.

Side note: I have a hetrodoxa x minor that’s flowering for the second time under me and it still has relatively immature pitchers. How long do you think I should expect before it throws out it’s first whopper?

Can I ask what media your Heli's are in?

There's nothing wrong with where I got it or the origin of the plant in any manner; it's from an area supposedly rampant with natural hybridization. Nature made a mess, not people. And if your plant is flowering but has pitchers that aren't mature: it's been hormonally messed up, it may never mature or it could grow up at any time. Juvenile plants do not naturally bloom. On the other hand, if you're mistaking the small size of the plant for being immature: it never gets large.
All mine are in the same general sphagnum/perlite mix I keep Nepenthes in.

N. neblinae by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

So I sent out divisions of my H. "nutans" at the start of this year...and then got one returned to me after about 4 months because no one picked it up. So this thing was in a dark box with no extra light for weeks, much of the leaves that were present had died back...but it looks like this now:
H. nutans? resurrected by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

Looking good dude.

Back