What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hcarlton's Helis

The flower is long dead and gone; no seeds resulted.

I find it far better to name things descriptively than by personal wants; Heliamphora fits perfectly considering where they originate, and the name translates properly only to marsh pitcher, because the original name sourced from Helos, for marsh.

With a switch to a new light for one of my shelves (an LED this time rather than typical shoplight), H. nutans has begun changing shape and color to look a lot more like its proper form
H. nutans by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr

All my H. nutans flowers are suddenly mutants...4 stalks, 3 with open blooms, every single one with at least 5 and up to 7 tepals

Interesting mutation. They definitely still look just as elegant as a normal heliamphora flower.

Man they are just gorgeous! Wish mine looked that good. What's your setup like and any tips on growing them would be amazing.

Man, I wish my temps were lower so I could grow Helis well... I have one right now, it has to be grown in a bag right in the front of the cooler to even grow decently.
Pretty cool flowers, abnormalities and all!

Man they are just gorgeous! Wish mine looked that good. What's your setup like and any tips on growing them would be amazing.

They grow in the greenhouse next to everything else, which swings from lowland to intermediate conditions throughout the year, but I move them out to the basement every night so they get cold nights. They need a LOT of light and cold temps to be happy primarily though.

They grow in the greenhouse next to everything else, which swings from lowland to intermediate conditions throughout the year, but I move them out to the basement every night so they get cold nights. They need a LOT of light and cold temps to be happy primarily though.

I have mine in a ten gallon with a glass top. The humidity is around 80 during the day. Tep is lowe 70s during this time of yeas and drops to mid to low 60s at night. I have a 24" twin T5ho over them giving me 48w. The light is about ten inches away from my largest plant. Is there anything I can improve?

I have mine in a ten gallon with a glass top. The humidity is around 80 during the day. Tep is lowe 70s during this time of yeas and drops to mid to low 60s at night. I have a 24" twin T5ho over them giving me 48w. The light is about ten inches away from my largest plant. Is there anything I can improve?

Colder at night, and wattage says nothing about light strength; lumens are light output, but I have never actually looked at what my lights are rated at. The brighter, the better (if they aren't turning red somewhere, it's not bright enough).

Oh the difference proper lighting makes...all the shorter pitchers are from when under the bottom shelf light (which has since also been changed), but this new one under another shelf's light:
H. minor by Hawken Carlton, on Flickr
Lovely blood-colored line down the back too

Back