What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What to grow with this tray?

I found this nice-looking acrylic tray about 1.5 inches deep on a sidewalk recently. I filled it with peat and perlite and let it wash in the rain in the last few days. However, as I'm new to growing carnivorous plants, I'm not sure what CP plants would this tray be good for growing with such a shallow depth? It seems like serracenia needs a much deeper container. Any suggestion is welcomed.

Here is the pic:
uDX1YyB.jpg

Last edited:
Many of the medium/small Drosera will do just fine in a shallow planter; you can mound the soil (terraform it) to at least 3" deep towards the center and make an intriguing "landscape" of it. You're right - not appropriate for Sarracenia, though.

I agree with Paul, many of the smaller common Drosera would do fine in a shallow planter. I would avoid pygmy Drosera however, they have very long, delicate roots and appreciate deeper pots.

You could grow a rather large colony of terrestrial Utricularia in that as well. U. sandersonii or other easy terrestrials spread rapidly and put out very nice mass bloomings.

I suspect easy Mexican Pinguicula (e.g. P. moranensis) would also do well. (If you do plan to grow Pinguicula, peat/perlite is not the best choice of media in my opinion. Take a look at the stickied threads in the Pinguicula subforum for more info on these.)

I also think a bunch of terrestrial utricularia would look amazing in there. Would eventually form a huge carpeted mass and bloom profusely.

I like all the ideas posted above really...What I would probably do is create several small mounds and plant some Drosera there, and then put the utricularia in the flat sections. Then I'd let the drosera and the utrics battle for territory haha.

I'll disagree with Paul. You could just fill the tray with water and drop in Sarracenia purpurea and / or Sarracenia psittacina, no medium.
If you think algae could be a problem use a substrate of live Sphagnum moss. This will eventually grow as the plants do and give more depth as well as providing a medium for terrestrial Utricularia, Drosera, et cetera that you may wish to also include.

Last edited:
Freds idea is certainly viable, especially the live Sphagnum idea.

You might even be able to include some pings -- provided you made some mounds as Whim suggested. It would take some experimentation, but including larger particles like lava rock into the makeup of said mounds might reduce the amount of wicking that occurs preventing the mounds from remaining wetter than the pings would want.

Last edited:
Yesterday I found some nice chunks of moss-covered bark from the fallen trees at a creek. Can this be used on the mound or would that be better in a terrarium?

Would be a great container for sarracenia seeds too.

Back