What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dark Seed Grown Cephalotus Northcliffe

As far as I know the only clone that has enough evidence that light is not playing a huge part in its colorations is 'Eden Black'. However, even with that clone getting passed around there is still little documented about it. Even with mass amounts of viable and verifiable 'Eden Black' X seeds out there we are not seeing the photographic evidence I would expect. The 'Eden Black' X seeds I have are mid to bad for coloration and are showing no special traits yet. If you dig around a lot there are a handful of possibly special plants coming out from these seeds.

Yes, I concur: Eden black is a dark clone and the world is flat.

With 'Eden Black' we have http://www.carnivorousplants.org/cultivars/description/Eden_Black_cultivar_web.pdf, figure 2 showing different clones growing in similar conditions with a wide range of colorations. Basically what we need for every "black/purple/special" claim.

With this new dark clone only being 3+ years old (I believe that is what I read earlier) it will be a long time before enough info is gathered.

Perhaps one of the most interesting Eden crosses out there imo. http://www.cpukforum.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=51153

I'd love to get my hands on that one!

Well, sorry to inform you but bananito is not going to be with you soon. The few who have it, you just pissed off.

under normal greenhouse conditions in Europe with the old sun.

Now that is a very impressive plant indeed. I am intrigued

Well done!!!

Behave pokie, I chuckled

Yes its a real beaut,and dimi is what the ceph world needs more of,an honest grower

That is a good question...I'd have to count them. About a dozen or so "named" Cephs growing under a variety of lighting/conditions. Add to that the seed grown ones and it would be a lot. As for traits in those named plants 4-5 actually have traits that stand out. None of the seed grown plants I have are anything special yet.

To gather any significant data on growth parameters, there must an adequate number of plants from the same genetic stock grown in each condition - a dozen at least, preferably done in duplicate. To test a few conditions thus requires at least a few dozen plants from the same genetic stock. Most growers do not have this capability, and extrapolate from a few plants which I would be cautious of.

I'm pretty sure my 'Hummer's Giant', that I have a paper trail back to him, is not the same plant pokie is growing :0o:. Never a pitcher much over 2". But then again I've never grown the giant pitchers on any of my Cephs.

In the 2009 NASC auction, you won a cutting from one of BigBella's honkin Hummer's giants http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/117646-Cephalotus-cv-quot-Hummer-s-Giant-quot-Leaf-cutting-RSS-60. Yes, your Hummer's giant has the pedigree, the rest is dependent upon your growing conditions.

Now that is a very impressive plant indeed. I am intrigued

Well done!!!

Thanks Jcal.

Frankly, it is too early I to make any conclusions if that plant would continue in that lineage in future. I sow 15 seeds from that location Northcliffe 3.5 years ago as the age of the plant now and I selected from all the seedlings from that batch only one because it showed dark coloration even when it was with 3 tiny pitchers.

We will see what color that plant will get under different conditions as I plan to send material from it to Pokie22 in USA.

But that is the advantage of seed grown plants, you never know what u would get as that Northcliffe...

Last edited:
RSS, are u trying to say that my Cephalotus Northcliffe is grown under LED light and the color is achieved in this way?

If so, I have to correct you for the third time - no under normal greenhouse conditions in Europe with the old sun.

I never made any claims as to how you are growing the Ceph, I just pointed out there was no info. "Looking at the CPUK thread there is no mention of the growing conditions or if supplemental/artificial lighting was involved." is what I typed. Maybe there are multiple CPUK threads with the info, I do not know. Thanks for providing the info, little pieces of info like this help a ton.

To gather any significant data on growth parameters, there must an adequate number of plants from the same genetic stock grown in each condition - a dozen at least, preferably done in duplicate. To test a few conditions thus requires at least a few dozen plants from the same genetic stock. Most growers do not have this capability, and extrapolate from a few plants which I would be cautious of.

In the 2009 NASC auction, you won a cutting from one of BigBella's honkin Hummer's giants http://www.terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php/117646-Cephalotus-cv-quot-Hummer-s-Giant-quot-Leaf-cutting-RSS-60. Yes, your Hummer's giant has the pedigree, the rest is dependent upon your growing conditions.

I said "About a dozen or so "named" Cephs" not total Cephs, don't make assumptions of peoples collection sizes.

I have received 3 plants labeled as 'Hummer's Giants' over the years and I was not counting BigBella's as the one with the paper trail. None of my Cephs have ever produced the massive pitchers. It is entirely my conditions and not the plant as I said above.

It is clear to me I have somehow offended a lot of people and I really have no clue as to how, I'm happy to continue with a productive conversation.

Maybe I should have just said Wow amazing plant instead of trying to figure out what was going on.

To demonstrate that LEDs are not necessary to achieve dark colors, here are two different cephalotus plants grown under low light conditions - the amount reserved for tissue culture (20 watts of T5).

12776082774_121516d0ae_c.jpg

14311621691_9b80967c79_c.jpg

Not sure if this is really relevant,
but I used to grow a few cephs before I got into heliamphora,

This particular clone (noid) was one of my most colorful.... back then I used cheap T12's walmart fixtures that I modified by installing mylar on the reflector surface.
Compared to today's lighting methods.... it was caveman.
cephalotus2.jpg

IMHO, many factors at play with lighting and clone line likely being primary

You all making me cephs again..... (pokie already doing her best lol)

Last edited:
Here's one of a plant grown in natural light, Northwest facing wall

9606090495_6fe73467d8_o.jpg

I am at 53.1435° North

Last edited:
Back