What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jcals ceph (Cephalotus) seed results.

Here are some of my last batches Cephalotus seedlings from this year...

11701211_868920393145535_2484266303972957909_n.jpg

11698527_868920389812202_6204401177299074501_n.jpg

Those size are a bit older with their semi adult pitchers in their second growing season.

11402816_867260149978226_6110584218945793154_n.jpg

11402954_867260146644893_5100300183576732609_n.jpg

My turn to show off again, friends. Out of the eight seedlings that shot up from the seed received from Jcal, I had six survivors. I transplanted them from the Turface and peat mix into just peat and lots o' perlite. These little seedlings and my "larger" plants are all planted in the same mix, in the same south facing window with no supplemental lighting. I think they would do better with more light, but so far so good.

Here are the Jcal seedlings, first. All six are in the same pot. One is so miniscule he is hard to see (my phone camera sucks). The puny one seemed to take a hit from transplanting; the other five seedings seemed to take off upon repotting.

AA battery for comparison.

...and pictures of the rest of my plants. Three plants in two pots were progeny of leaf pullings from Jerry Jackson. The other guy I got in a trade with Peter Jacob. That one is my largest plant so far.

Aww baby cephs are really cute with their little bubble looking lids. I just noticed after moving mine to a stronger light that they are attempting to pitcher instead of just non carnivorous leaves sprouting like crazy. I noticed a few divisions aswell so hopefully in a year or so I'll have nearly as nice of plants as all of you do :)
Im really hoping my Albany ceph thats all green will produce nice pitchers again like it did before it got frost damage :/ it was prob my favorite one cayse the lime green color :)

So, Jcal-- Do I need to stratify my seeds? They're a couple weeks old, in a pot in the fridge now. Should I just take them out and forget about stratification?

this is a nice cross I've got, and I'd like as many seedlings to germinate as possible. Thank you in advance!

Been almost a year and the seedlings are coming along quite nicely!!! A few of them are about the size of a quarter.

Growing this one in high humidity and low light. Already has a intermediate pitcher!

These two red plants stood out since the beginning so I separated them out early. Same everything...they just have better coloration.

Last edited:
Nicely done jcal, I am growing a batch in high humidity and fairly low light and it seems like the way to go, just got the pain of acclimatisation when the time comes

So, Jcal-- Do I need to stratify my seeds? They're a couple weeks old, in a pot in the fridge now. Should I just take them out and forget about stratification?

this is a nice cross I've got, and I'd like as many seedlings to germinate as possible. Thank you in advance!

I did not strat. Sowed right away and had great results doing so. I would only consider it if the seed were a few months old.

Nicely done jcal, I am growing a batch in high humidity and fairly low light and it seems like the way to go, just got the pain of acclimatisation when the time comes

I just checked out your thread. good stuff. Joseph gave some good advice about feeding. It is a pain but I can tell a difference.

Showing first signs of maturity!

Divided up some but plenty more left to do...

Last edited:
Nicely done Jcal , great when the first mature looking pitchers start, growing them from seed gives great satisfaction eh

The two clones I have didn't come from seeds, but they did start out in my care with immature pitchers....definitely an exciting moment when you see that first mature pitcher pop out!

Nicely done Jcal , great when the first mature looking pitchers start, growing them from seed gives great satisfaction eh

Indeed. It is a great feeling. Now when one of these flower I will have arrived! Lol

Last edited:
Finally decided to get the seedlings out of the small container. Man they had some long roots!

Since I had extra pots I also gave my heli the business too...

Last edited:
Excellent growth Jcal, hope the repot doesn't set them back too much , some of mine took it worse than others. Surprised me how good the roots were too , if space wasn't an issue I would repot at a much smaller size than I did as I think it would not be such a problem disturbing them when tiny , but just don't have room for a hundred small pots,arghh

Excellent growth Jcal, hope the repot doesn't set them back too much , some of mine took it worse than others. Surprised me how good the roots were too , if space wasn't an issue I would repot at a much smaller size than I did as I think it would not be such a problem disturbing them when tiny , but just don't have room for a hundred small pots,arghh

Out of the 20 or so only one has shown no sign of new growth. All others are surprisingly doing well.
Lots of mature pictures in the photo now

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:
Jcal,
I would like to bombard you with questions :)

1. What proportions of peat and turface do you use?
2. Is there anything else in the mix (do I see perlite)?
3. What turface brand is this (MVP, PRO, etc)?
4. Do you do top watering with pots later staying in the tub with water? DO you let them dry out at all before re-watering?
5. Any special temperature settings?

Thank you.

P.S.

Some seeds I planted a bit ago. Nothing but a bit of Trichoderma mold yet...

26088174122_2100673bd3_c.jpg

25586319513_a7f498dcaf_c.jpg

25586319413_10a2f525ec_c.jpg

Last edited:
1. mostly peat. I would say about half peat mixed with perlite, sand and turface.
2.^ see above.
3. I tried to get mvp but gave up after I couldn't find it. I forgot what one I ended up with but I doubt it matters. I've had the same bag for almost 3 years now. I just went with whatever the John Deere landscape company had at the time.
4. I always use the tray method. The tray does dry out from time to time. I check the lids. When they start drooping or looks dry I add more water.
5. Nope. I grow everything in an open environment. Cephs like air movement so I have a small fan that blows across them.

Every time I mix soil for cephs it's different. I doubt I mix it the same way every time. I was fixated on the perfect soul for awhile and researched myself to death. Finally I settled on what just works for me. My mixtures are always mostly peat with added ingredients from above. I always use turface and perlite. Sand is optional and if it's there and already pre rinsed I will use it. Otherwise I don't go looking for it.

Any more questions fire away!

Last edited:
These monsters are out of control

I may have under potted these :blush:

My main goal now is to get them to flower. I want to complete that circle. I will have to be diligent feeding them to get them to size but I believe next year I will have stalks. Fingers still crossed for this year though....

Last edited:
Excellent work, man. :bigthumpup: I find the root system interesting. It's long but oddly sp a r s e, I guess I was expecting a rhizome to be there.

Last edited:
Wow what a pitcher jumps! Well done.

Back