What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Planting Cephalotus leaf pullings

Jcal

Decumbent Fanatic
2 part question.

1. How deep to you plant your leaf stems?

I have a habit of planting deep, with only the leaf exposed. I have a feeling that this increases the survival rate of the leaf, but may take longer because the plant has to travel farther to reach the surface. I have seen others lay the entire leaf flat with barely the end covered. how do you plant yours and do you have a preference of deep vs shallow planting? Examples?

2. What do you plant leaves in?

I alway use live spagh and re-plant into a peat mix once i see growth. Goes back to the thought that live lfs has a higher survival rate, but once established a more nutrent rich soil is better for long term growth.

Petiole about 1/4" deep in live Sphagnum. I'm very casual about the process, simply pulling off a few leaves now and then and stuffing them in the Sphagnum colony on top of the greenhouse benches.

I plant them in live sphagnum about 1/4 inch deep then to my usual peat based mix. Live sphagnum seems to have magical properties when it comes to cuttings , I have success with stapeliads in it too

Last edited:
I'll third that. I have actually experimented with my leaf pullings and left them in the live sphag to see how they do (instead of repotting). So far the ones in the live sphag each have around 6-7 pitchers where the one with only a tiny amount of live sphag and peat/sand only has a couple.

I have also kept these at a much higher water level, albeit a much airier mix, and they seem to thrive. Hell even some of my tiny plants in little 1" seed tray pots sit in water about 1/2" deep. This is in my hydroponic setup though so dissolved oxygen is higher than a standard tray.

thanks for the posts guys! ill start trying to pot them alittle more shallow to see if anything changes.

i havent found rooting hard at all except for one clone. growing from seed is pretty easy as well. I was looking over my helis a few weeks ago and saw something green growing inside one of the pitchers. got the tweezers out and found a cephalotus seed that has sprouted inside of the heli pitcher!!

Back