What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Solar pump set-up MkII / Darlingtonia House March 10th 2015

This is the second version of a solar water pump in a tray for Darlingtonia. The first version which I placed in an existing planted tray doesn't really allow for a large enough flow through. So this time I have cut off the bottoms of some slated trays (see photo) at 1" and inverted them to give a good flow through and raise the individual trays to a level they will not be completely flooded. I have not provided any pre-filtration this time as there should be no contamination in the water to deal with. The pump sits end on ( the intake to the bottom) and the output is taken through tubing through the inverted tray bottoms to an elbow joint and then up to a T joint and out to the spray bars. This looks far more aesthetically pleasing than the prototype and should keep the flowing water cooler. The water flow results on this one are excellent and I intend to carry on something similar with a fully planted version in the MkIII. The small planted trays used for the video are not the ones that the set-up is intended for. I have a very nice line in a grey version of the slatted trays which will be planted up with live sphagnum.

16589916520_185b73cba9_o.jpg

A complete tray and a representative example the portion that has been removed from the ones in use. ( So far I have nine of these, if I dispose of them now I know that next week I'll find a use for them)

Here's a video update on the Darlingtonia House as at 10th March 2015. New growth hasn't started yet but things are looking good for late winter.

Great videos Fred. Not just MkII but #2 with a whole new kit.

Still waiting for my kit to be delivered but then it will be on to Ceph ground-flow project MkI for me!

Cheers
Steve

Great videos Fred. Not just MkII but #2 with a whole new kit.

Still waiting for my kit to be delivered but then it will be on to Ceph ground-flow project MkI for me!

Cheers
Steve

I have the pump and panel for the MkIII version but awaiting a few bits to come from abroad ( yes that place). The difference was 20% of the UK price to import, and the parts are identical. Then I'll decommision the prototype and get on with the MkIV version too.

Love the greenhouse video Fred , especially the plant just in the doorway on the right , it looks very robust

I have often considered such a setup for growing these plants, but never got around to it. Yours seems very practical and is obviously very functional, too. Would you be willing to provide the details of the main components, the pump and power source?

Back