What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rootless Sarracenia Division?

Ok, so while I was dividing my Sarracenia today, I goofed pretty bad and accidentally broke off a growing point without any roots...do you think the little guy will make it? This won't really impact my collection as a whole (I've got 20 more where this guy came from), but I like to think that the lives of all plants (except dandelions) have value. Any comments, thoughts, or rough drafts of obituaries are appreciated. Thanks!

Whole plant:
IMAG00071_zps5bqarnqk.jpg

Rootless division:
IMAG00101_zpsjkehvrd1.jpg

IMAG00111_zpsb9djeysj.jpg

IMAG00121_zpsoebokvmq.jpg

IMAG00131_zpspnyjlkte.jpg

I would trim off the pitchers to reduce transpiration and dessication. And you definitely need to eat a nice spring mix with young dandelion leaves, and sip a nice glass of dandelion wine while doing it!

Thanks for the advice, I was debating if the photosynthetic value presented by the leaves was worth the amount of desiccation they would cause. As for the dandelion, I have very bad childhood memories of indigestion from eating it, so needless to say, I wont be eating it anytime soon. Time to pull out the weed whaker!

Once it flowers, it's only good for wine. Have to pick the young inner leaves.

When ever something like that happens I just bury the rhizome in a tub or cup of live sphagnum I keep just for that purpose. There isn't much of a rhizome but you probably have a 75% chance that it will root. The plant will use almost all its energy in growing new roots so I wouldn't trim the leaves off. You can always fill them with water to combat dehydration. If the sphagnum is in a high walled container it will create a slightly humid micro-climate.

When I got my first Sarracenia oreophila the grower that sent it to me noted that there was another growth point forming that could be divided off once it developed roots. Unfortunately it broke of during shipment with two or three picthers in the non-opened stage of growth. I potted it up, not having live sphagnum at that stage, and kept it well watered. The pitchers did not develop at all but neither did they die during the growing season - it was growing roots. The next year it the division having established a root system resumed normal growth.

Stick it in soil or LFS and chances are it will root, might take a while but it should form roots. I have been successful doing this with quite a few sarracenia growth points that broke off during division. I think NaN's advice not to cut the pitchers off is good and also providing a slightly humid environment helps (high-walled open container).

I agree with the last posts, I have had them come back from a lot less than that. As I have grown them from a leaf pulling with some white of the rhizome on the 'clasp' that should be fine with a little TLC. Not a Numbers suggestion is good.

Cheers
steve

In addition to everyone elses suggestions you could bag it too. Just dont put the bagged plant in full sun.

Good advice already given.
Just wanted to say that your plant looks a lot like my northern purp from Canada. :) Fancy little plant.

BTW, hope you're doing well, Warren. About time they gave you the blue name... you deserve it. ;)

Last edited:
Back