What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia & Low light

Hello everyone :)

So I have a question. I've been growing CP's for about two years and i consider myself pretty knowledgable (always wanting to learn more though) but I recently moved from a house to an apartment and I'm not receiving as much light as I did when I was living in a house. I know sarrs need at least up to 6 hrs of light and that's what they were receiving before or maybe even more, they were thriving as well, but now I'm going to guess that they are receiving anywhere between 2-3 hrs of light :/ but the temps are in the 90-95's nearly all day. Do you think they will do fine? I'm just a little spooked.

Thank you

What type of sarrs are you growing? Also, how old are they? Some squatter species (and some younger plants) can do okay in lower light... But two or three hours seems pretty low for even s. purpurea. I'd probably try for a different window (south facing if possible) or try to supplement that sunlight with a grow light. You can actually put certain grow lights in certain desk lamps if you don't particularly enjoy an industrial approach to apartment décor.

I grow them outside on my patio.. I have quiet a few differet Flavas and a lots of hybrids

Last edited:
With 2-3 hours of light your plants will be green and etiolated, they certainly wont make good colours I'm afraid. You will definitely need some additional lighting.

Stecvee

Back