What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've done a very bad thing

elgecko

I've got a magic window!
Was careless this winter with some water on my Sars. Keep them too wet. Think I can stop waiting for something to happen.
The Hurricane Creek White isn't that big of a deal, but killing my Adrain Slack. :crap:

CameraZOOM-20150520192307659_zpspwou1jjm.jpg

ow. I hurt for you. I wasted quite of bit of money myself killing plants during my teenage years..... :shudder:

Last edited:
Wow those are expensive.

Was careless this winter with some water on my Sars. Keep them too wet. Think I can stop waiting for something to happen.
The Hurricane Creek White isn't that big of a deal, but killing my Adrain Slack. :crap:

CameraZOOM-20150520192307659_zpspwou1jjm.jpg

That really bites. Sorry.

Just out of curiosity, what is your soil mix for them?

Steve,
This winter was the roughest my Sarrs have ever gone through (in my care). For some reason, it hit the purps hardest (30-50% lost) and right now the jury is out on my 'Adrian Slack' (it's still green but nothing is sprouting from any of the growth points). The 'Reptilian Rose' has sprouted but the only pitcher is severely deformed (aaargh).

The only reason I wasn't constantly whining all winter was that Johnny looked to be having an even worse one. My Sarrs overwinter in the garage & regularly freeze solid in Jan/Feb most years. Given that, I didn't expect to see issues with them come spring - wrong. :censor:

On a non-CP related note -- this winter was the 1st in 10-20 years where the snow stayed on the ground all winter (from the 1st snow). Typically, we have a few days of above-freezing temps that melt the stuff - not this year. About 15 years ago, we built a pergola over our deck to provide shade. One of the vines we planted was a wisteria that eventually covered the pergola & gave us hundreds of beautiful blooms drooping down from above each spring. With the constant snow cover all winter, apparently mice got hungry in their tunnels and girdled the wisteria trunk. We now have a huge mass of dead sticks over our deck -- aaaargh. :headwall:

I did in fact have a worse winter. Worst on record actually. I'm happy to report though, there were no major losses out in the bogs and the plants are all happy and flowering. Business as usual.

I take it you've done the usual like checking the firmness of the rhizome. Or even cutting a notch or two to see if it is still white inside and perhaps starting a new growth point.

At least for me S. 'Adrian Slack' is a very slow grower. It is in Tissue Culture propagation but production appears to be limited and the prices are still rather high IMO. So replacing it won't be as difficult as it would have been several years ago.

I take it you've done the usual like checking the firmness of the rhizome. Or even cutting a notch or two to see if it is still white inside and perhaps starting a new growth point.

At least for me S. 'Adrian Slack' is a very slow grower. It is in Tissue Culture propagation but production appears to be limited and the prices are still rather high IMO. So replacing it won't be as difficult as it would have been several years ago.

Well, if it's any consolation, here in San Diego I've had A.S. going on my third year. Maybe, just maybe, this year I might actually get a pitcher. Last year, 1 mis-shapen phyllodia was all I got. The year before, at least it had one small pitcher from when it was divided and given to me. I keep the pot pretty wet all year round and it seems to keep coming back, so I wouldn't give up hope yet. I'm not sure mine has grown yet this year, and the S.minors, flavas, purps, and Umlauftiana have all already put up pitchers.

Steve,
This winter was the roughest my Sarrs have ever gone through (in my care). For some reason, it hit the purps hardest (30-50% lost) and right now the jury is out on my 'Adrian Slack' (it's still green but nothing is sprouting from any of the growth points). The 'Reptilian Rose' has sprouted but the only pitcher is severely deformed (aaargh).

The only reason I wasn't constantly whining all winter was that Johnny looked to be having an even worse one. My Sarrs overwinter in the garage & regularly freeze solid in Jan/Feb most years. Given that, I didn't expect to see issues with them come spring - wrong. :censor:

On a non-CP related note -- this winter was the 1st in 10-20 years where the snow stayed on the ground all winter (from the 1st snow). Typically, we have a few days of above-freezing temps that melt the stuff - not this year. About 15 years ago, we built a pergola over our deck to provide shade. One of the vines we planted was a wisteria that eventually covered the pergola & gave us hundreds of beautiful blooms drooping down from above each spring. With the constant snow cover all winter, apparently mice got hungry in their tunnels and girdled the wisteria trunk. We now have a huge mass of dead sticks over our deck -- aaaargh. :headwall:

Oh noes!!!

Man, that really stinks. I had a rough winter here in NJ as well, most of my sarracenia didn't start growing until last week, and I lost a few divisions to a late frost. With any luck, you'll find a replacement soon!

I hear ya! Different variables, but I lost most of my Sarracenias, a cobra lily, and all but one VFT. We just moved in November, a couple days before 'Snowvember'. I put the temperates in the basement and the basement was a little warmer than anticipated. I also erred on the side of keeping them too dry. Lost all but 3 pots of pygmy sundews by having them too dry. Lost most of the Petiolaris Complex because the heating unit (Baxi Boiler) was out for 4 days. I had plenty of 'shots in the arm' with replacement plants, and most of them died. About the only genera that came through with minimal losses were the Mexican butterworts. I do have false(?) HCW, that look like crap right now, if you're interested, next month.

Wow, everyone had bad luck this winter. Lost more of my plants this year to rot than any other (prompting me to start a repot session on all my old pots), and still have some time to go....
But losing Slack? Ouch. Yet to even have that plant, can't imagine having one crap out on me....

Rough winter here too. Thought I lost a lot of plants, but many are just slow to comeback. Jury is still out on psitticina, and a couple others, but I finally have some buds, too. And more vfts survived than i initially thought.

Rough winter here too. Thought I lost a lot of plants, but many are just slow to comeback. Jury is still out on psitticina, and a couple others, but I finally have some buds, too. And more vfts survived than i initially thought.

I think I lost my psittacina too. Two of my leucophylla are just starting to put up their first pitchers of the season.

So, it wasn't just me. A couple of S. purps made it. My S. oreophila looks ok but no new growth yet. All the other species and hybrids just didn't make it...

Sounds like many had bad luck this winter. Guess I'm not alone.
The slacks rhizome was brown, dried wood when I checked it.
One of my Purps had large rhizome death. Have some new growth out of the few pieces that lived.
Pretty much the Sar not effected was my S. oreophila which looks great right now.

Last edited:
Mine all dried up in the summer heat last year if you can believe it... was really upset! Southern IL summers are awful.

Back