What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

C. 'Eden Black' x self doesn't show color?

• Thread starter mass
  • Start date
Who said Eden Black x self doesn't show color? And this pitcher just popped. Can't wait to see what it looks like in a couple weeks.

Some growers seem to forget what Stephen Morely (who developed the original cultivar) advised, in terms of lighting -- full sun and no shade, in order to get and maintain that dark coloration . . .

The plant bellow is not Eden Black but u can see the color of the new growth...

Pics deleted.

Last edited:
DND wow very nice color!

Well done guys :)

Last edited:
Some growers seem to forget what Stephen Morely (who developed the original cultivar) advised, in terms of lighting -- full sun and no shade, in order to get and maintain that dark coloration . . .

The plants raised from seeds 'Eden Black' x self are strongly individuals and differ one from each other and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will get the expected color that their parent has.

If a plant has dark genes in it u can see that when it is still tiny tiny seedling with 2-3 juvenile pitchers and this seedling differ from the others, no matter where u grow it - shade position or sun. It shows dark characteristics...

Mass's plant is green and nothing else. If he has luck he will end up with red coloration or maybe better...

I remember in one of last year's issues of CPN there was an article saying that for a Cephalotus cultivar designation to be valid a plant should show characteristics of the cultivar no matter what conditions it is grown under, so I agree DND.

The plants raised from seeds 'Eden Black' x self are strongly individuals and differ one from each other and there is absolutely no guarantee that they will get the expected color that their parent has.

If a plant has dark genes in it u can see that when it is still tiny tiny seedling with 2-3 juvenile pitchers and this seedling differ from the others, no matter where u grow it - shade position or sun.

Eden Black plants that I have personally seen, both here and in the UK -- adults and small divisions -- have only achieved their darkest coloration under direct sunlight (Morely mentioned as much, in terms of its cultural requirements); and, of course, those grown from the selfed seed will vary as any seed grown plant varies.

I remember in one of last year's issues of CPN there was an article saying that for a Cephalotus cultivar designation to be valid a plant should show characteristics of the cultivar no matter what conditions it is grown under, so I agree DND.

Once again, it is not the cultivar being grown, but selfed seed; and regardless of what an article in the CPN has to say, the way a given plant is cultivated; how its cultural requirements are met or not met, will absolutely affect its appearance, health, and size. It is patently absurd to think otherwise, since I have seen stunted Cephalotus grown through sheer cultural ineptitude, that -- when given proper care -- went on to flourish. Hummer's Giant plants grown under direct sun almost never reach their large pitcher size potential, though are brightly colored; while those grown in partial shade, in my experience, do . . .

Last edited:
Colour expression is a function of cultivation conditions in Cephalotus in my experience. This plant was growing under grow lights ~1 month ago and was green but has taken on this colour since being placed outside.

141749z.jpg

With regards to what Dimi said, these two seedlings are from the same batch of location crosses and the front one (bottom of picture) has always shown a darker colouration to its siblings.

okmohf.jpg

Last edited:
muwwahahahaha

evil scientist laugh....

IMG_20150610_103113.jpg

Not an EB or an offspring, just an example of the effect light spectrum can have.

Last edited:
and, of course, those grown from the selfed seed will vary as any seed grown plant varies.

So, having this in mind I was wondering if yours t/c propagated 'Eden Black' x self and so called "alpha," "delta," and "gamma," seedlings show the same " dark - black" color as the parent has? Apparently u grow them in full sun with no shade as u suggest, so any chance to post pictures, please?

So, having this in mind I was wondering if yours t/c propagated 'Eden Black' x self and so called "alpha," "delta," and "gamma," seedlings show the same " dark - black" color as the parent has? Apparently u grow them in full sun with no shade as u suggest, so any chance to post pictures, please?

First of all, I don't grow them under full sun (and don't really have that luxury, here in San Francisco); and if you (or "u" if that's more preferable) had managed to comprehend what I had written, it had been Stephen Morely's specific advice on the cultivation of Eden Black that I had described. Most of the TC plants were grown and hardened under minimal laboratory lighting and were well received. Here is a shot of one of the "delta" and "gamma" clones from 2013-14, just beginning to produce some adult pitchers, both under about forty percent shade . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Eden Black x Self" 2014

Last edited:
muwwahahahaha

evil scientist laugh....

C. follicularis cv. "Chernobyl"
IMG_20150610_103113.jpg

Not an EB or an offspring, just an example of the effect light spectrum can have.

Yep, another welcomed visit from Butch's Cephalotus follicularis cv. "Chernobyl." I just wish the ole eyes would stop bleeding. Butch, for shame; lighting and cultivation practices should have absolutely nothing to do with a plant's appearance; so too Heliamphora, which also thrive under the dimmest of lighting; closets are best. The CPN -- circulation about eight -- told me so . . .

Last edited:

This is a patently absurd statement. The fact that this ridiculous claim somehow made it into an article would make me doubt the validity of anything that author could ever contrive or that publication care to print.

If this claim were actual fact, then there are no valid Cephalotus cultivars.

Last edited:
If I grow a plant in a complex gas mixture and it shows a unique characteristic then could I register it as a cultivar?

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
If I grow a plant in a complex gas mixture and it shows a unique characteristic then could I register it as a cultivar?

I grow many of my plants in a mix of oxygen, acetylene and nitrous oxide. Although I haven't noticed any unusual traits in any of them, the growth rate due to the presence of nitrogen along with the organic carbon source in the acetylene which I believe greatly enhances photosynthesis. I feel this is a new frontier in plant cultivation, and more people should be working on it.

OMG too funny... But please kids do not attempt without parental guidance

It go boom 🙈

Cold fusion lighting is the way to go!

Nothing gets more passionate than a good ol' fashioned EB color thread

Last edited:
I actually find that, for those plants that can tolerate it, a substrate of ammonium nitrate prills and asphalt provide a source of the same nutrients directly to the roots, and increases the effects greatly.

Last edited:

What I was getting at was how far can you go in a cultivar description with regards to what is needed in order to express the claimed unique characteristic [emoji4]

Anyone who thinks that differences in lighting don't affect the way plants look, both colorwise and morphologically, needs to perform a very simple experiment that I perform each year. Put your plants outside for the summer and bring them in before the cold gets them.

Back