What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus ' Dudley Watts ' or Cephalotus " Double Ribbed" ? Which one?

It should be labeled as a location plant.

Could this be a case of there are no Ceph at Emu Point today but 30 years ago there where?

Wild Cephalotus population in Emu Point doesn't grow. Same story is with so called Cephalotus Walpole - in this location there also aren't and they have never grown there. The correct location is Coal Mine Beach.... both locations Emu Point and Walpole were given with purpose from Allen Lowrie and Phill Mann to protect the real locations from poachers of the wild growing Cephalotus...

So, Fred is quite right in his arguments.

I just love the idea of giving Cephalotus plants location names that are not Cephalotus sites. A hint of Lunacy perhaps? Or will Lunacy be the next cultivar? :-O

The only problem is that the 'Big Boy' I have is EXACTLY like the Emu Point

Bellow is Cephalotus "Big Boy" with trace back to the originator Fred Green.

1908193_864253943612180_5853274738393330092_n.jpg

Surely I can say that Cephalotus "Big Boy " has nothing in common with so called "Emu Point"

http://cpphotofinder.com/cephalotus-emu-point-8832.html

The seed and cuttings for those plants came from a grower in Western Australia; were labeled as such by him; so too, some from Coal Mine Beach. I have no reason to question him or his generosity towards me over the years.

As an aside, I received a batch of N. edwardsiana seed some time ago; were claimed to have been from Marai Parai; and another anonymous troll, claimed that no such population existed. It turns out that they are and were thriving there.

I'll put my money on the botanists and field biologists, over the basement dwellers in dignity pants any day . . .

Last edited:
Put the spade down David

The seed and cuttings for those plants came from a grower in Western Australia; were labeled as such by him; so too, some from Coal Mine Beach. I have no reason to question him or his generosity towards me over the years.

As an aside, I received a batch of N. edwardsiana seed some time ago; were claimed to have been from Marai Parai; and another anonymous troll, claimed that no such population existed. It turns out that they are and were thriving there.

I'll put my money on the botanists and field biologists, over the basement dwellers in dignity pants any day . . .

LOL BigBella :D.

Last edited:
Or perhaps the provenance of the compared "Big Boy" was not all it should have been which is the more likely scenario.

Keep in mind I am only talking about the plant I have labeled as Big Boy and NOT the clone as a whole. Since I have only ever seen photos and the plant in my collection labeled as Big Boy I can not say for sure what plant it actually is. Just more of a warning in the US atleast that either Emu Point and Big Boy are very close in appearance or someone is being a little naughty...Both are great plants imo, easily my 2 best growers.

Just as I'm sure there are false 'Hummer's Giants' out there I fear the same has happened with 'Big Boy'.

Wild Cephalotus population in Emu Point doesn't grow. Same story is with so called Cephalotus Walpole - in this location there also aren't and they have never grown there. The correct location is Coal Mine Beach.... both locations Emu Point and Walpole were given with purpose from Allen Lowrie and Phill Mann to protect the real locations from poachers of the wild growing Cephalotus...

So, Fred is quite right in his arguments.

The more information we can get out about these Ceph names the better imo.

I'm in full agreement with you RSS. Which is why I raised the Emu Point question. Those of us "in the know" :-)) (it helps if you visit "moribund" sites) were aware that our Australian cousins were giving false location names to Cephalotus. They no doubt have a list of what came from where but it does make a bit of a mockery of the location name usage. It does keep the poachers busy looking in the wrong places though. I must admit I thought it would have been much better to use an alpha numeric location identification to lessen confusion.
Please let's not start with the fake Hummer's clones, not at my age I'd never see the end of the thread.

Just as I'm sure there are false 'Hummer's Giants' out there I fear the same has happened with 'Big Boy'.

I fully agree with you!

The more information we can get out about these Ceph names the better imo.

Again I agree with you and I think this is the right way, so many of the fake names in circulation to be removed and not "to make profit"from them...

Not many options to get real deal from Oz and I know very well most of the sources there I'm afraid... are you going the say who it is?

For such a debate to exist, does this not mean that the clones characteristics are not distinguishable? If this is the case, then how would one prove provenance?

Last edited:
I think it's called honesty and good record keeping. If either one is in doubt then there's no provenance.

Edit
Should I correct that to be ACCURATE record keeping

Last edited:
For such a debate to exist, does this not mean that the clones characteristics are not distinguishable? If this is the case, then how would one prove provenance?

This is why I started playing around with LEDs in the first place, I wanted to see for myself if I could get close enough to pass off some random clone as a black clone and I hate to say it you can...LEDs just changed the bar with Ceph coloration.

The 3-4" all green 'Hummer's Giant' are real I'd say, if you have seen a Squat they are real, if that banana clone is stable that is another. The rest are getting flaky imo and need a good paper trail back to where they came from.

With playing around with LEDs (along with a few other peoples results I've watched) coloration just can not be used as a factor for 99% of the growers out there. You would need very controlled conditions to ensure you where not allowing one clone to get more red/blue/green/whatever light off a reflected piece of glass or metal. If you don't know how much light color can effect Ceph color a good example is the last page of this thread http://www.terraforums.com/forums/s...LED-flowering-lamp-trial/page4?highlight=pink that is a normal HG grown under off conditions.

I'd love to see more photo's of these clones in flower, maybe the key to Id'ing could be found in flower formation. But I've driven this off topic :)

Gawd, but this is entertaining! :-O

10/10 thread

Back