What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone using lava sand instead of silica sand?

A friend who grows bonsai gave me a small bag of red lava sand. Its basically like crushed up lava rocks like one would use in a nep mix. Has anyone tried using this instead of silica sand or in combination with, for their ceph mix?

i havent, but off the top of my head i wouldnt see any negatives using it. if i had it i would rinse it and give it a go!

if you have a concern let it soak in water and use your meter to see if the ppm goes up over time.

Last edited:
Yes. My standard nep mix is mostly lava rock

I use the 1/8"-5/8" red lava rock for my neps as well. I have a "kitchen sink" mix I use that has everything anyone would use in a nep mix. Maybe I'll start using the red lava sand in it too.

My Ceph mix is pretty basic its just peat, perlite, sand and vermiculite. I think I'll try adding this red lava sand as well. I will wash it though as suggested, since I do that with all my aggregates anyways.

Last edited:
Back