What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Different Heliamphora parvas?

Hi all,
I was intrigued to see that some H. parva plants have wide, arrowhead-shaped nectar spoons like Francois Mey's. This was what got me hooked on the plant in the first place.
P1190490.JPG

and one of Wistuba's display plants:
P1350394.JPG

However, most others in cultivation, like Maiden's, have more normal spoons.
14305783534_319a24893d_b.jpg

Is it just me, or is there some difference?
Since I'm considering getting a parva from Wistuba's, I'd like to get plants that look like Wistuba's. Anyone else with a mature Wistuba plant?

Last edited:
Good question, i wonder the same thing.

Other growers will probably have better answers, but IMHO many morphology exist.

I grow that clone under massive lighting, since years, and the nectar spoon is not wide open like andreas's clone.
17257875016_2a913ea300_h.jpg

Maybe my parva is still not old enough, time will tell.

Edit: My plant is from wistuba.

Last edited:
This is also a Wistuba clone. The nectar spoon is greatly influenced by the growing conditions. Some previous pitchers have had proportionately larger or smaller ones.

parva%203_zpsvwmqvhjj.jpg

parva%202_zps3zxy7rof.jpg

parva%201_zpsh92y4lnr.jpg

One of my favorite plants, it also has huge flowers -- over 15 cm across.
Cheers,
Paul

Last edited:
stunning....

not the best pic but....
IMG_20150502_113410.jpg

what did the parva say to the fly?

slippery when wet!

That looks terrific, Butch. Assuming that is the same clone that you auctioned two years ago, the color of your plant versus mine nicely illustrates the effects of different lighting.

But your pitchers are greener. My parva's pitcher is almost all red. So, i dont think its a lighting thing. Look at mey's parva; very green pitchers, even greenish nectar spoon but very wide.
I cannot reach the same nectar spoon.. I start to think many clone lines exist..

By the way, amazing parva paul, i cant wait to grow a parva like your. You should post your helis pictures more often :)

Last edited:
From snapperhead, the greatest helis grower in my opinion:

"really dough that light or any other temp or growing condition would prevent a natural hood to form , possibly low light mite cause smaller hoods to form , but not where they are not the same shape as the mother plant IMO !! all mine here form hoods the same as mother plant , hot ,cold high light ,small or large.(...)" -john yates

I really start to think i have a hybrid..

Last edited:
Thanks for the compliment, Francois. My remarks about light were merely regarding the pitcher pigmentation, not the shape of the nectar spoon. In my greenhouse, increasing the relative humidity seems to have sparked an increase in the size of the nectar spoons, but not a significant change in shape. The appearance of yours may well be genetic, as you suspect.

OMG! Those plants look amazing. Love those spoons.

Paul: can i ask how old is the plant on your picture?

Francois: It was a a division of mature plant, when I won it in the NASC Auction over two years ago.

Last edited:
There are many different parva clones in the greenhouse of Andreas, but just few are available at a time...
Some with big spoons, reddish ones, more hairy ones, less hairy ones, other forms with different lid shapes....
All have clone numbers! Most of the time he sells those which are very hairy, clone number beginning with 13-? and 8-?, others might be very hairy too, but I just saw these clones (~about 4-5) being densely hairy! The lid shape will just show up when the pitchers are "fully" adult (final adult leaf shape!). I like that parva is so variable, but my budget doesn't! :D

When Andreas is back I'll ask him if I can post some pictures... ;-)

Cheers
Marc

Last edited:
Francois: It was a a division of mature plant, when I won it in the NASC Auction over two years ago.

Thanks.

I think i will wait one more year, and see what happen. Maybe my plant is not old enough.

Last edited:
Back