Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Pest control on sarracenia.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Depends on the species of the moth, E. semicrocea is less specific. Look inside or cut open the collapsed pitchers for silk tenting. The larvae overwinter on ground under leaf litter or on the crowns of the plant. Around mid-April they become active and climb up the tubes and bore an entrance hole. Then they seal off the pitcher with silk and munch away on the inside. Before they pupate they often bore an exit hole for the adult moth to leave from. If you are not seeing larvae it could be they are in the pupae or adult stage.

There is another species of moth of which I do not recall the name that is specific to S. purpurea but only eats the seeds or fruits.
    Jut cut one open today, and there was a little green caterpillar in it. With the caterpillar killer, do I put it in the pitchers or in the soil, and will it be safe for bog orchids as well?
    Last edited by Cruzzfish; 08-23-2015 at 07:53 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I know this is a very old thread, and I didn't search yet to see if there is a newer one dealing with Exyra Pitcher Plant Moths, but I just found this adult moth poking out of my S. purpurea here in Northern NJ Nov 7th. To my knowledge, there aren't any natural bogs within 60 miles of my home. Do you think this is an Exyra fax, the moth specific to S. purpurea?

Pest control on sarracenia.-rsz_12020-11-4_moth_1-jpg
    Last edited by jerrysmith; 11-10-2020 at 02:12 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well, I found an article in the Newsletter of the North American Sarracenia Conservancy dealing with Exyra moths. The author does suggest using Bt inside of the pitchers. Here is a link to that article: https://www.nasarracenia.org/wp-cont...ewsletter1.pdf

I also found a study done on the effect of smoke on the moths. The abstract states the moths flee the pitchers when smoke it detected. I have not been able to obtain a copy of this paper. I'd really like to read it. https://bioone.org/journals/the-jour....70i4.a3.short

Now I wish I hadn't gotten rid of my beekeeping smokers. One would have come in handy to try the smoke application. I should think you could get an idea of the infestation present in your collection this way.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here is the other photo that didn't upload last night.

Pest control on sarracenia.-rsz_2020-11-4_moth_2-jpg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My brother-in-law has been studying insects all his work life since he got his BS in Entomology from U. Delaware in 1975. (Mostly Mayflies, but is very familiar with our NE moths). Here is an hour long video of aquatic insects he is featured in: https://youtu.be/GPBXi4N-hyU I sent him the photos and he does not think it is an Exyra. Man, do I wish I saved that moth to send him. I'll be keeping my eyes open next spring and remembering the smoke idea.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123