What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

So, uh, what now?

Vbkid

Getting There...
A few months ago I was extremely lucky that a member of this forum traded me some cephalotus leaf pullings. I potted them up in damp shredded LFS with sand mixed in. I bagged em and put them under 16h/day grow lights. While 3 of them succumbed to fungus/mold, one marched on and today I noticed I have 3 small healthy cephalotus leaves emerging from the LFS!

So, my main question is, what should my next step be? Should it stay bagged up, should I be transplanting it perhaps? I've never grown a ceph, but am excited for the new opportunity.

Thanks for any advice,

Kyle

I would wait for it to grow a few leaves and then start to open the bag a little over time. How slowly, well I used to open it more like every week or two.

It will be under T5HOs on an open air grow rack, eventually. Any suggestions on media? OR should the LFS/sand serve it well for now? Thanks again!

I have been using both sand+peat and perlite+peat. Recently I've been using perlite+peat because my sand is too fine I think. Both work well enough.

I have read about a technique for acclimatising heliamphoras, they will cut a piece of the bag away every few days untill it's totally exposed

as for media, currently my favourite is peat and sand, but i feel like for a un established cutting, LFS(with perlite?) might be superior.

I would agree with others who suggest allowing the plants to develop a bit more. Recently, I uprooted a very old plant and divided its rhizome into a dozen or more pieces; and I have no intention of disturbing them until next Spring; or even later, if they seem to be thriving. At last count, there were fifteen. The young plants are currently tented with a large ziplock bag with its corners trimmed away, supported by bamboo skewers; and when it is excessively hot, I remove it entirely . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" Summer 2015

My favorite, go-to compost, is still one, originated by Charles Brewer, years ago:

45% dried sphagnum moss
45% medium perlite (or pumice, my preference, since perlite is concentrated pure evil)
8% peat/sand mixture
2% wood charcoal.

That's an interesting mix. Is the LFS finely chopped or just "as is"?

Back