What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Clear jelly in Sarracenia flower?

Spring is here, I'm getting lots of new growth and the sarras are sending up flowers so I'm trying to pollinate them. In the process of doing so the cotton bud I was using to pick up the pollen managed to get some kind of clear jelly on it. Apart from being clear it was very thick, but not quite as solid as vaseline. Didn't see any in my other flowers.

Was it nectar or something else?

Wow thats weird! Im deff interested to see if anyone has any idea what it could be !! Wish u had a photo it prob would help
A bit but no biggy, i dnt have many sarrs so i couldnt even begin to guess what it could be . goodluck

Strange! Maybe nectar or something similar to that? I would love to see a pic

No pics unfortunately, but after a few more days of pollination I think my original guess of nectar is right. Haven't seen any other blobs (original blob was ~1 cm across), but now that most of the filaments have dropped off the flower I can see a few small drops around the ovaries, maybe 1 mm or so. Haven't seen them on any other flowers yet.

So I'd say nectar, just in a surprisingly large amount.

Back