What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus rhizome cuttings . . .

Every couple years or so, I'll uproot one of my older plants and divide the rhizome -- in part, to obviously produce more plants; but, also, as an insurance policy against possible loss. The eight year old plant was divided in mid-August; and the first of the sprouts were seen within ten days. It has since produced some twenty plants . . .

Cephalotus follicularis "Hummer's Giant" 7 September
image.jpg1_zpsvzjubycs.jpg

27 October
image_zpscluwvfuk.jpeg

Last edited:
Looking good! What do you grow them in? Looks sort of like pure peat or perhaps coir. They're obviously happy in it.

Looking good! What do you grow them in? Looks sort of like pure peat or perhaps coir. They're obviously happy in it.

They are grown in a fast-draining 2:1:1:1 compost of peat, coarse-grade sand, long fiber sphagnum, and charcoal . . .

That looks delightful! Hope to see more pics when they're more mature!

They are grown in a fast-draining 2:1:1:1 compost of peat, coarse-grade sand, long fiber sphagnum, and charcoal . . .

Ah. I didn't see any LFS, sand, or charcoal, that's why I asked.

Reading the back issues of CPN is always interesting. Back when Cephalotus was not common in cultivation and the contributors to CPN were finding ways to propagate the plants, it was reported that leaving the root/rhizome cuttings exposed and allowing a callus to form before planting was beneficial. Have you made similar observations?

BTW to be pedantic the use of "cv." before the cultivar epithet was made obsolete in the sixth edition (1995) of International Code of Nomenclature for Cultivated Plants. From the eight edition (2009) Chapter III Conventions for Presentation of Names Article 14 Cultivar Status:
Note 2. Prior to 1996 the abbreviation "cv." preceding a cultivar epithet was permitted as an alternative to the use of single quotation marks. Whilst this Code no longer recognizes the use of such a designation, botanic gardens and other collections of plants are likely to continue to bear such an abbreviation on their plant labels until such time as those labels are replaced.
http://www.actahort.org/chronica/pdf/sh_10.pdf

Reading the back issues of CPN is always interesting. Back when Cephalotus was not common in cultivation and the contributors to CPN were finding ways to propagate the plants, it was reported that leaving the root/rhizome cuttings exposed and allowing a callus to form before planting was beneficial. Have you made similar observations?

I had never thought to leave any of the rhizomes exposed; had always planted them as though they were cuttings; and hadn't heard of that technique, oh pedantic one . . .

It may not matter if you are using Trichoderma or the like. 30-40 years ago I doubt very many CP growers knew about Trichoderma.

Hey David. Have you been getting my emails? Would communication on this forum be easier?

Nice growth btw.

Back