What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus Powdery Mildew

Hey all. I have neglected my cephalotus collection a lot, and I've decided I want them to start looking good again. Sadly, almost all my plants are completely covered in powdery mildew. Does anyone a way to cure this beside neem and more air movement? I recall hearing that sulfur based fungicides work; can anyone give me a link to where I can buy some?

Many thanks!

Ivan

Sulphur is a third rate fungicide and is phytotoxic to many plants, to some degree. Get a proper fungicide. One that has Propiconazole as the active ingredient is ideal, but avoid "combo" products like the Bayer three-in-one crap. Neem is okay, but far less effective than a real fungicide.

Sulphur is a third rate fungicide and is phytotoxic to many plants, to some degree. Get a proper fungicide. One that has Propiconazole as the active ingredient is ideal, but avoid "combo" products like the Bayer three-in-one crap. Neem is okay, but far less effective than a real fungicide.

Will search up fungicides with the ingredient you mentioned, thanks!

In the past, I have successfully used straight sulfur powder on Cephalotus, available at any garden center, worth its salt . . .

Last edited:
In my experience, sulfur cause less phytotoxicity when condensed onto the plants than when sprinkled or sprayed - and I literally mean condense. Buy some elemental sulfur granules or pellets, place in a metal bowl, and heat over a hot plate. If done in an enclosed space, it sublimes and condenses back on the plants, killing the PM. Be aware that this stinks and can be corrosive to metal.

As noted before, try a real fungicide. Other actives to consider for horticultural use besides propiconazole are mycobutanil, thiophanate-methyl, and azoxystrobin. These are all systemic within the plant to some degree. Just be sure to follow the label. Things like Neem, sulfur, and chlorothanonil work best as contact fungicides and must be on the leaf surface to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my experience, sulfur cause less phytotoxicity when condensed onto the plants than when sprinkled or sprayed - and I literally mean condense. Buy some elemental sulfur granules or pellets, place in a metal bowl, and heat over a hot plate. If done in an enclosed space, it sublimes and condenses back on the plants, killing the PM. Be aware that this stinks and can be corrosive to metal.

And lung tissue....

The ancient Greeks used sulfur (fire and brimstone) fumes to fumigate or purify objects and dwellings. There are a few references in Homer's Illiad and Odyssey. A goblet in the former is purified with fire and brimstone in the former (book 16). In the latter Odysseus calls for brimstone, a brazier and medicinal herbs in order to purify the great hall after the slaughter of the parasitical suitors (book 22).

Sulfur fumes turns into sulfuric acid in the lungs.

That's not to say that "real" fungicides are any safer:

Propiconazole - toxicity, ecological toxicity and regulatory information

Nobody is suggesting that "real" fungicides are to be regarded as safer alternatives to "home remedy" style chemicals like Sulphur, but the fact is that when people (most of the intelligent people I know, anyways) understand that the chemical poses some handling and/or environmental risk, they will treat the material with the greatest respect because they know that mishandling it will have consequences, and so it is far less likely to be misused.

Even Hydrogen Peroxide makes it into the list of "hazardous chemicals", you know.

Will gaseous Sulphur work as a treatment for Powdery Mildew? Undoubtedly, yes. Is there any risk involved in generating and using vaporized Sulphur within the confines of ones home environment? Absolutely. It would be an error of judgement to think vaporized Sulphur posed no threat to the user, just as the mishandling of Propiconazole or most any other chemical engineered for gardening purposes would. Understand the materials you are using, and handle them appropriately.

I have a background in hazmat disposal and my thoughts on vaporizing sulfur indoors and not in a fume hood are simple. If you want to do it in your house, it looks ok from my house. Unless maybe I'm nearby and downwind. That's outdoor work. In which case nearby and downwind would definitely apply.

Last edited:
Nobody is suggesting that "real" fungicides are to be regarded as safer alternatives to "home remedy" style chemicals like Sulphur, but the fact is that when people (most of the intelligent people I know, anyways) understand that the chemical poses some handling and/or environmental risk, they will treat the material with the greatest respect because they know that mishandling it will have consequences, and so it is far less likely to be misused.

Even Hydrogen Peroxide makes it into the list of "hazardous chemicals", you know.

Will gaseous Sulphur work as a treatment for Powdery Mildew? Undoubtedly, yes. Is there any risk involved in generating and using vaporized Sulphur within the confines of ones home environment? Absolutely. It would be an error of judgement to think vaporized Sulphur posed no threat to the user, just as the mishandling of Propiconazole or most any other chemical engineered for gardening purposes would. Understand the materials you are using, and handle them appropriately.

Although I am 15 I very clearly understand that any chemical can be dangerous if used incorrectly. Handling a toxic liquid fungicide will be much easier than handling a toxic vapor, so I will stick with the option that is safer and easier for me. Thanks for the information everyone.

The ancient Greeks used sulfur (fire and brimstone) fumes to fumigate or purify objects and dwellings. There are a few references in Homer's Illiad and Odyssey.

Reading the Odyssey in school right now. You should have said spoiler alert before telling me the suitors get killed :p I forgive you

Reading the Odyssey in school right now. You should have said spoiler alert before telling me the suitors get killed :p I forgive you

Darn it, did you have to spread the spoiler?

Hydrogen peroxide is nasty stuff! The common 3% solution for household use is innocuous enough, but a 30% solution burns skin instantly.

ive had tried a few different products and found sulfer to be the best for cephalotus powdery mildew. Cures it with one application. Wouldn't suggest anything else.

ive had tried a few different products and found sulfur to be the best for cephalotus powdery mildew. Cures it with one application. Wouldn't suggest anything else.
Thanks for your input. I already bought the fungicide recommended by Whimgrinder, it still has to arrive. If it doesn't prove to be effective I will give sulfur a try.

Back