What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can over-feeding a heliamphora cause the pitchers to develop brown spots?

I'd advise against MaxSea in the pitchers themselves. You'll most likely spawn an algal bloom within the fluid, if not the media, as fluid drains from the leaves . . .

I'll avoid Maxsea then. I know that people use it on their Nepenthes with good results, although they have their own digestive enzymes.

I'll avoid Maxsea then. I know that people use it on their Nepenthes with good results, although they have their own digestive enzymes.

The use of MaxSea is even divided among some Nepenthes growers. Many swear by it; others, as I have, tend to get overrrun by algal blooms or slime mold within their composts, depending upon their individual growing conditions . . .

Yup. MaxSea = algae, in my experience. I discontinued using it two years ago.

Good information, thanks everyone. I'll reserve Maxsea as a spray for my live sphagnum and the sensitive sundews whose tentacles burn even when I give them fish food, even in a watered down soup (D. slackii I'm looking at you).

Back