What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scoria as a sand replacement for sarracenia?

Anyone out there use fine scoria as a sand replacement for their sarracenia?

I've tended toward using straight peat for my Sarracenia. That being said, it would be interesting to see how using scoria works out. Its darker color and higher density would make it a nice replacement for perlite and pumice, at the right mesh size. Can you obtain it at a sane quantity, size, and cost?

I'm interested, as well, to hear if anyone else uses it. I'm not aware of anything about its composition that'd exclude it from use in cp media.

Last edited:
Absolutely, I can get sand sizes all the way up to quarter inch plus. All I want for free and I can screen/grade it myself red or black.

The only potential issue with lava rock is acidic byproducts of vulcanism. I would think that the finer the mesh, the less likely that would be. And it might not even be an issue with acid loving plants like Sarrs.

I found some lava rock meant for use in gal bbq equipment and thought I could pulverize the chunks. I got nowhere with a coffee sack and a sledge hammer.

Back