What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first Sarrancenia and i'm already doing something wrong!

masonix

Mr Masonix
Hi,

My plant is drying, although i have it in water.
Bought it at Bauhaus where it was fully grown.
Some of the pitchers are new since i got it about a month ago.

12 Hours of LED plantlight each day.

The plant is totally out of phase with seasons in the northern hemisphere. I have some similar plants, but I can't get a pic because they're under several feet of snow. The pitchers dry out and die back over the winter, and this is likely what's happening to yours now.

Ok, should I put it in winter remission? I have a food chellar that has around 5 degrees Celsius where I can store it for 3 - 4 months but it will only be that cold for another 2-3 months

Last edited:
A couple months of cold and dark won't hurt it. You should try to grow outside year round, which makes dormancy easy.

Thank you for your answer!

Should I also kill the lights or should it have some hours of light?

I appreciate your quick response, will do this later.

In sweden we have like -25 for some weeks, sometimes without snow so it does not survive our harch winters I think?

Thanks again!

Light is good, because more than temperature it's how plants know what season it is. Cut the lights to 10 hours while keeping the plants dormant, and try to keep them away from extraneous light from windows while the lights are off. Sarracenia purpurea purpurea can certainly survive your winters if it's in the ground and mulched. Other Sarracenia aren't as hardy.

Light is good, because more than temperature it's how plants know what season it is. Cut the lights to 10 hours while keeping the plants dormant, and try to keep them away from extraneous light from windows while the lights are off. Sarracenia purpurea purpurea can certainly survive your winters if it's in the ground and mulched. Other Sarracenia aren't as hardy.

Agree, although I wonder if they actually need the mulching to be outside. There are enough wild ones somewhere nearby where I live to have pitcher plant moths, and no one's covering them.

Agree, although I wonder if they actually need the mulching to be outside. There are enough wild ones somewhere nearby where I live to have pitcher plant moths, and no one's covering them.

That would be more informative if there was a location or winter minimum temperature in there

That would be more informative if there was a location or winter minimum temperature in there

Northern Connecticut. Temperature is fifty degrees right now, but it's usually a lot colder than Uppsala. Average low is 18 degrees, minimum has been -25 ever and is -10 usually.

That's quite the same as Uppsala Sweden! Winter is mostly around -5 to -10, but usually we get one to three weeks of chilly -25!
And they do survive in that climate? I will have to think about planting it outside this summer! :)

That's quite the same as Uppsala Sweden! Winter is mostly around -5 to -10, but usually we get one to three weeks of chilly -25!
And they do survive in that climate? I will have to think about planting it outside this summer! :)

They apparently survive that climate. Their native range is Connecticut up through the other northern states and a good chunk of Canada, but I haven't seen one personally. I'm just assuming they're around because others say so and because there's an annoying kind of moth that lays eggs in the pitchers and the caterpillars eat them. I personally have mine indoors because it shares a pot with some less hardy pitcher plants.

Are you guys using the same temperature scale?

Are you guys using the same temperature scale?

No, but what he's saying is the Celsius converted version of what I'm saying. I've checked the weather in Uppsala and it isn't that much different, although -25C/-13F is pushing it for Sarrs.

Sarracenia purpurea is the official flower of Newfoundland. They can certainly take the cold when in the ground, especially with a good layer of snow insulating them from the cold air. In pots you have to be much more careful. Your food cellar may be ideal for winter, and you can move the plant outdoors when the weather starts to warm up.

It's been in our food seller know for a couple of days. Should I use 10 hour light or should I have less?

It's been in our food seller know for a couple of days. Should I use 10 hour light or should I have less?

I try to match the photoperiod for temperate plants grown indoors loosely with that of the outdoors. Around here, the shortest day of winter is about 10 hrs long, so that's what I winter temperate plants at. With spring coming I'll increase to 12 hrs in a couple weeks. By the time the longer days of summer have hit, they're outside. Then they come in to 12 hours in the fall, down to 10 for winter again, and so it goes.

Back