What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Aphid infestation?

Looks like one of my Sarracenia pots has been hit with an aphid infestation, but before I do anything I'd just like to confirm that it is aphids, and also ask about recommended treatments. First time encountering them.

Pot is also host to some D. capensis and VFTs, but keeping the Sarras is my primary concern, I've got comparatively more of the others.

A couple of pics:
4EMajMFh.jpg

ZdzXnnPh.jpg

They look more like scale bugs to me, aphids are very small and I don't think I would be able to see them from those photos. I'm no expert though.

Armored scale. Treat everything near this plant with systemic neonics or acephate, and also cut the foliage and bag it up tight before tossing.

Ouch, just looked up what those were. Good thing I asked, thanks for the advice.

Will head out to get insecticides tomorrow, do you have any particular recommendations on whether to use acephate or neonics, or specific neonicotinoid compounds to look out for?

Aside from the D. capensis and VFTs, there are some Nepenthes nearby (< 1 foot) which I presume I'll be spraying as well, if that affects the advice on what insecticides to use.

I can't give any advice on brands, but I do have this. Keep your other plants away from your sarrs, you don't want them getting scale bugs too.

Scale can also be treated with nematodes. You may think that on the expensive side though.

A systemic insecticide which has Thiacloprid as it's active agent will clear your infestation. I have found it to be safe with all CPs. I believe your plants are indoors so there's not the problem of bees coming into contact. These insecticides need to be used sparingly and appropriately, please follow the manufacturers directions for usage and dosage.

You can also take a wetted sponge and give the leaves a wipe, either before or a couple days after you spray. Will bring most of the scale off with just a little pressure, and doing it to Sarrs is markedly easier than rubbing down every leaf on a vining nep.

If you do so before, you should be able to remove most of the scale that's already settled down and formed a shell, leaving the insecticide to do it's work primarily on the crawlers.

He's in Australia Zath, it's Autumn there. He'll be cutting the pitchers back anyway. Thiacloprid will kill the lot so no need to fanny around with a sponge

Last edited:
You almost certainly will have some of these bugs on all other plants in the same room. Sometimes only a few and if these go unnoticed the weaker plants will get new ones in the next cycle.
I would apply it to every plant you have. The dust like young ones under the mothers scale are to small to be noticed.

Thanks all for the further advice.

Couldn't find anything with thiacloprid but I did get imidacloprid, which I understand should be similar enough. My plants are outside and while it's technically autumn, it's effectively still summer, as an example today is 30 C and the next four days are predicted to be about the same. Because of that, on plants showing visible signs of infestation I cut off the oldest and most obviously affected leaves, then wiped down the younger, less affected ones and sprayed them. Nearby plants showing no signs of infestation were also sprayed, including Sarras, Neps, Drosera and Dionaea. Instructions said to spray thoroughly and I'm fairly sure I succeeded on that count. Two more applications to go, two weeks apart.

Any further recommendations, or should I just start the waiting game?

I don't have any advice regarding the imidicloprid. I was simply told it was not as effective, but why that is, I'm not sure. I myself used Bifenthrin, as opposed to the previously mentioned systemics.

However, it sounds like you're on the right track. I'd say it's time for the waiting game.

I've had scale problems before as well and lime someone mentioned I literally wiped them off. If they persisted I'd use chemicals but it was a ten to fifteen minute process to just wipe them off by hand, not too bad. I'm not saying it's the right way but it works for me.

I had some small aphids on a plant in a smallish terrarium, so I took a wooden skewer, wrapped it with some double sided tape on the pointed end, and picked them off one at a time.

I had some small aphids on a plant in a smallish terrarium, so I took a wooden skewer, wrapped it with some double sided tape on the pointed end, and picked them off one at a time.
He doesn't have aphids, he has scale insects, pearldiver.

True that, but the same thing might work in a tight spot.

True that, but the same thing might work in a tight spot.
It might work on the crawlers, but not on the adults, they're attached to the plant too powerfully. I don't think it would be possible to get all of the crawlers with tape either.

Well, it's been about a week. Sarras don't look like they've sustained any damage, hopefully all the scale is starting to die off, if it hasn't already.

I am curious though, is leaf burn one of the side effects of imidacloprid? One of my neps and a non-carnivorous plant look unhappy, leaves on both looked fine a week ago. If it was just the nep then I might excuse that since I recently repotted and moved it outside, but given the timing with the scale treatment I'm not so sure. I've found some notes on chlorosis and marginal necrosis as well. On that note, could anyone help with an ID on the latter? Parents gave it to me and I'm not sure what it is.

jaJ4y3mh.jpg

rw9bsqvh.jpg

Last edited:
Back