What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia purpura fall colors

curtisconners

Greetings from the netherworld.
Good afternoon, terraforums. I obtained an S. Purpura last summer and in fall it turned bright red/purple. It had some purple veining in the summer, but this was solid red. Anyone else seen this in S. Purpura? Are there any other sarrs that exhibit this "fall color"? Thanks.

It's common and the origin of the name pupurea=purple.

I new Purpura meant purple, I just thought that it became purple in bright sun, like vft's with red traps. Are there any other Sarracenia that exhibit this? Sorry if I misspelled Sarracenia.

A lot of Sarracenia either a) experience their best coloration in fall traps, or b) accumulate high levels of anthocyanin and other pigments in response to stress fro changing conditions. This is typical; color is also influenced by genetics and some specimens will not show this deep blushing while others represent extreme examples of it.

Awesome, more fall colored picture plants. Thanks for the help.

Back