What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Same or different species?

Hi everyone,

First of all, I'm new here and it is sooooo awesome to become a member of this forum.
So I bought a baby Sarracenia from a ebay seller, and she was kind enough to give me an extra one as gift. I planted them side by side, and they finally showed some sign of growing! According to the seller, these two should be the same species (which she didnt know what species of sarracenia they were, she said they might be hybrids), but one is much younger than the other.
Well, interestingly, their new emerging leaves showed completely different colors, one is red (the bigger individual) and the other is kind yellowish green, so I'm kind confused now if they are really the same species (the fully grown leaves also look a little bit different to me). What do you guys think? Plus I'd really appreciate it if anyone can actually identify the species! Thanks!

large_jACI_ba01000072201e83.jpg

Ally

Last edited:
The picture embed in the post isn't working, but I was able to copy the URL and view it. Those plants are way too small to tell exactly what they are and how similar they'll be when they are adult size. Sarracenia can change quite significantly as they mature.

Ha, thanks! I guess I just need to be patient!

- - - Updated - - -

Weird, cuz it shows up on my computer...

The picture is showing up correctly now.

Plants appear to be seedlings, the one on the left is younger then the other. Very young Sarracenia tend to look similar. Coloration depends on environment, genetics and maturity of the plant.

What moss do you have them planted in? It doesn't look like Sphagnum to me.

Last edited:
I see no pic or URL for one

Even at this stage it looks like they could well be different hybrids (and I would bet hybrids since the one on the right clearly has purpurea in it, but I also see what might be areolation, though that could just be condensation inside the pitcher too with this pic), but more likely than not you won't be able to make a call for sure until they get a fair bit bigger, and start showing more mature traits.

Weird, seems that somebody can see it while others cant...

Last edited:
Plants appear to be seedlings, the one on the left is younger then the other. Very young Sarracenia tend to look similar. Coloration depends on environment, genetics and maturity of the plant.

What moss do you have them planted in? It doesn't look like Sphagnum to me.

the media is basically half sphagnum moss and half perlite, the cover moss is just some random green moss I got from my backyard (and I washed off all the dust before I used them).

- - - Updated - - -

Even at this stage it looks like they could well be different hybrids (and I would bet hybrids since the one on the right clearly has purpurea in it, but I also see what might be areolation, though that could just be condensation inside the pitcher too with this pic), but more likely than not you won't be able to make a call for sure until they get a fair bit bigger, and start showing more mature traits.

I'm wondering how long would it take to get them grow into that size, big enough for identification.

I viewed the image on the link that Not a Number posted, along with right-clicking the image box that did show and copy/pasting that into a browser. Posting a URL from an image hosting site would probably work better than what method you may have used.
Also: random moss being thrown in with CP's is a bad idea. Whatever you might have found and put on top may well end up being either poisonous to them, or could overrun them before they get a chance to grow. Stick with sphagnum. And how quickly they grow depends on several things: 1, how much lighting they are getting, 2, the condition of the soil, and 3, how often they get fed.

Back