What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled ceph pitcher?

Quick question- my cephalotus has been workin on a really nice pitcher consistently all through winter, but now with better light and temps, it seems like new growth is taking off and that one much-awaited lil guy has just about stalled. Is it likely ever to open? It even put out and opened a whole new pitcher, though it's 1/4 the size of the stalled one. Thanks!

Quick question- my cephalotus has been workin on a really nice pitcher consistently all through winter, but now with better light and temps, it seems like new growth is taking off and that one much-awaited lil guy has just about stalled. Is it likely ever to open? It even put out and opened a whole new pitcher, though it's 1/4 the size of the stalled one. Thanks!

Just curious to see this do you have a photo?

sure, here's the best picture I could get this time of night..the 'stalled' pitcher is on the right, the newest one that just opened on the far left. It's also put out three new photosynthetic leaves. The whole thing might be three or four connected growth points, but I'm not sure how they would go about sharing nutrients or 'growth signals' (there's a better word, but it's late)

sure, here's the best picture I could get this time of night..the 'stalled' pitcher is on the right, the newest one that just opened on the far left. It's also put out three new photosynthetic leaves. The whole thing might be three or four connected growth points, but I'm not sure how they would go about sharing nutrients or 'growth signals' (there's a better word, but it's late)

Looks like a good plant, I would just keep watching it. At least you still have growth maybe it will finish the pitcher later on.

As long as it is growing - putting up either pitchers or non-carnivorous leaves I wouldn't be concerned. My Cephalotus sometimes don't put out non-carnivorous leaves at all one year. Another year the non-carnivorous leaves come in the middle of spring.

Last year's growing season on the coast near Los Angeles had been very "off". Sarracenia started normally towards the end of winter and then stalled throughout the summer. Some of my S. purpurea grow only half the pitcher leaves of what is "normal". One of my S. minor only put up one pitcher the entire season. My winter growing Drosera did not go dormant until fall and my D. filiformis went dormant late spring, started growing mid-fall and went dormant again.

Back