What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

S.leucophylla seeds start germinating!

YES, so after two weeks time, my S.leucophylla seeds finally start germinating!! so far the germinating rate is about 20%, I guess that's not bad since these seeds didnt go through stratification. I have another pot of seeds that I put in the fridge for about 10 days, and it's been about a week out of fridge now, no sigh of germination yet, hopefully it will happen soon!!!

First time sowing Sarracenia seeds, beginner's luck!!!
s-l1600.jpg

Last edited:
You're saying "finally" after 2 weeks? I didn't know they could take less than a month to germinate, even with stratification. I'm just over 3 weeks in on my Sarracenia seeds with no signs of life yet.

You're saying "finally" after 2 weeks? I didn't know they could take less than a month to germinate, even with stratification. I'm just over 3 weeks in on my Sarracenia seeds with no signs of life yet.

YES! Two weeks!! Can't figure out the correct way to post pics.....did you use zip log bags? I put mine in sealed bags.

I don't have mine sealed up at the moment. It would be difficult for me to find the right size bag to seal them up properly how I have the pots set up.

Also your picture was there when I first viewed the thread, but it's gone now.

[MENTION=8584]Hamata-Honzo[/MENTION], these are from those seeds I sent to you!!

I don't have mine sealed up at the moment. It would be difficult for me to find the right size bag to seal them up properly how I have the pots set up.

sealed bags work very well so far, you may want to give it a try in the future. I had some gnats came out at the same time (probably from the media), but they all ended up getting stuck on my D.capensis now :) oops, guess because I took it off from my instagram....have to figure out how to get URL for pics....

Last edited:

Can you see the pic now?

I didn't know that it was possible for sarracenia seeds to germinate without stratification. Good luck with your seedlings.

Yep the picture's back. And yes curtis they can germinate without stratification but the germination rate will be very low.

I figured that since his germination rate was only 20%.

I figured that since his germination rate was only 20%.

That would be 20% so far. Nothing caan be read into that.

If you sow 100 stratified seeds and one germinates it doesn't mean that the germination rate will be 1%. it means there's only 1% germinated SO FAR

Edit: Here's one to play with. Has anyone tried scarifying and soaking unstratified seed to see what kind of germination they get?

Last edited:
Ok, point taken, Fredg. 20% so far.

Looks like I didn't have to wait long. All three of the seed batches I sowed are showing signs of life today, 25 days after bringing them inside (I did natural outdoor stratification in pots.) This is with no supplemental humidity, with ambient around 50%. Still waiting on my D. filiformis that got the same treatment, though I've had that pot covered for the last couple days.

ynt6AOG.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like I didn't have to wait long. All three of the seed batches I sowed are showing signs of life today, 25 days after bringing them inside (I did natural outdoor stratification in pots.) This is with no supplemental humidity, with ambient around 50%. Still waiting on my D. filiformis that got the same treatment, though I've had that pot covered for the last couple days.

ynt6AOG.jpg

Awesome!!! All my Drosera seeds failed this spring.....good luck!

Give them time! Some species can take quite a while.

Back