What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sowing cephalotus seeds in 14mL vial holders

gill_za

Never Knows Best
Hello,

I have recently came into possession of some cephalotus seeds and after searching on the forum, came up with a plan to sow them. Some one else on this forum used seed-starter sponge to propogate pullings, maybe RSS or Jcal, can't remember. But I got inspiration for this from them.

25907754320_53defe7d07_z.jpg

Some time ago I saved the styrofoam vial holders motivated by some vague idea of their usefulness in the future. The holders are about 1.25" deep and have cavities which are 5/8" in diameter and about 1" deep.
The plan was to have them sit in a tray with water so after experimenting with the diameter of the drain, each was stuffed with washed and trichoderma inoculated LFS.

25610112093_2f2aff31b7_z.jpg

26096543162_f43a776e2d_z.jpg

Each cavity would hold 1 seed placed directly in the middle (or as close as possible). Each seed packet contained 3-4 seeds, so I filled three rows and left the ones in between empty.

26096542882_b193cfcb60_z.jpg

I poured some flowable trichoderma solution onto each cavity as well, stuffed the whole thing into a ziploc bag and placed onto my southwest facing window. After reading the threads here and on other forums it looked like the stratification was not a guarantee to success so these were not stuffed into a refrigerator.

26192056825_859ffbbcd7_z.jpg

The tray might not be getting enough light so I might put it under fluorescent lights instead.

Questions? Comments? Suggestions?

Last edited:
oooh, I like this... I'll be watching closely. I have similar bloodvial foams I've thought of doing something similar with.....

Yep these are from 14mL falcon plastic tubes :) I bring home all the trash from the lab I think might be slightly useful. I am a hoarder.

Back