What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Can Darlingtonia self pollinate?

Hi everyone!

I have been doing some reading up on Darlingtonia recently because I have a flower that looks like it'll bloom in the next month or so. I'm really excited that it's doing so well. It's got a new pitcher coming up at the same time. It's sitting on my back porch and gets lots of morning and evening sun. It's in a plastic pot inside a white ceramic pot and sits in just a little water, around an inch.

So my question is can you self pollinate cobra lilies? I've read mixed info on this and can't really find a straight answer. If you can, how do you hand pollinate? Is it similar to a Sarracenia flower?

Thanks in advance!!!

Yes I believe they self-pollinate easily, but I have a better idea. Bring your plant to the meetup when it's flowering and you can cross-pollinate with mine! I'm not sure if I'll have an open flower for May, since my current flower may be expired by then and the next one isn't developing very quickly, but perhaps June...

That sounds like a great idea! I don't know if it'll be open by then but probably. I'll try to bring it either way

This shows the bits you need to know about.

darlicalif015.jpg

Does anyone know if there is a meetup in california

Happy Growing, from Dillon!

Does anyone know if there is a meetup in california

Happy Growing, from Dillon!

I'm pretty sure there are large groups for the Bay Area and LA that meet regularly. There's probably information somewhere on the forum about them.

Last edited:
It looks like the second flower bud on my plant aborted but the one flower is still open. If it lasts one more week and your flower is open we should be good to go.

Can Darlingtonia self pollinate?

Get your brush out, it's a yes

Last edited:
It looks like the second flower bud on my plant aborted but the one flower is still open. If it lasts one more week and your flower is open we should be good to go.

Should your flower degrade sooner or hers not be quite ready, can the pollen be harvested and stored/refrigerated for later use?

If the question is are Darlingtonia self-compatible - meaning that a plant can be fertilized by pollen from the same plant the answer is yes. Self-incompatible plants need pollen from a genetically different plant.

If the question is will the pollen get placed on the stigma when the flower closes the answer is no since the flower doesn't close and press the anthers against the stigma.

That doesn't mean an animal of some sort (bird, insect, spider, human etc.) or even the wind will transfer pollen to the stigma.

The design of the flowers appear to encourage cross pollination. The bell shaped ovary might shield pollen from dropping on to the stigma. The placement of the "entry ports" on the petals and the bell shaped ovary might make it easier for an insect entering the flower to transfer pollen. An insect that was gathering pollen from the anthers after having moved past the "bottleneck" caused by the flare of the ovary may have a higher tendency to drop out the bottom opening of the petals. I seem to recall field observations that the insects tend to drop out the bottom rather than climb back of the "entry ports". See photos below.

IMGP4957.jpg

_IGP0589aa.jpg

Well, I got my q-tip out and tried to pollinate it. I've repeated three or four times so far, and the flower is starting to grow upward since I started. I will continue to pollinate for the next few days. Fingers crossed!! :)

Back