What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Update on my sarracenia sowing experiment

So I started a little experiment on sowing sarracenia seeds around mid March. And now I think it's time to see the result I got.
Species: Sarracenia leucophylla
Time seeds harvested: mid-late Feb.
Group 1: No stratification, sowed on sphagnum moss and perlite mix, kept in sealed bag.
Germination rate: 13/25, 52%.
Timeline: first seed germinated 2 weeks after sowing, and it took about 1 month from 1st germination to 13th.

Group 2: 10 days stratification, sowed on sphagnum moss, kept in sealed bag.
Germination rate: 23/25, 92%
Timeline: first germinated 2 weeks after sowing, and it took about 1 week from 1st germination to 23rd.

Conclusion:
1. Stratification definitely helps germination, at least in S.leucophylla;
2. For S.leucophylla, 1 week stratification should be enough for a 90%+ germination rate;
3. Unstratified seeds need way more time to germinate, be patient!

It surprises me that the unstratified seeds had that high of a germination rate, and that 10 days was enough for the stratified seeds. The usual recommendation is 4-6 weeks!

My thoughts exactly, nimbulan. I've never grown sarracenia from seed, but if I did I would have stratified them for the entire winter. :-O

I was also surprised by the germination rate, but that's just what happened. And S.luecophylla is a special case that doesnt require a long stratification period, I've seen in other forum that their recommendation for this species stratification was 2wks.

I've seen information stating that stratifying S. leucophylla for 6 weeks can reduce germination rates, but never a recommendation for a shorter period. I'll have to remember that for the future.

I always stratify for 4 weeks unless it's one of the northern purp forms (then it's 6); leucophylla has been noted as having that odd tendency to decrease germination success after about 4 weeks' time, but never heard of stratification of only a week being enough.

I should try this myself after this growing season.

I agree, will have to try. One week seems just way to short.

I always stratify for 4 weeks unless it's one of the northern purp forms (then it's 6); leucophylla has been noted as having that odd tendency to decrease germination success after about 4 weeks' time, but never heard of stratification of only a week being enough.

Haha, I was planning to do a 2wks stratification, but being a little bit impatient and took it out earlier. The results did surprise me, but I'm sure there were others that did 2wks stratification and got pretty high germination rate.

- - - Updated - - -

I agree, will have to try. One week seems just way to short.

Let me know how yours turned out, I will definitely do this again next spring.

- - - Updated - - -

I should try this myself after this growing season.

Do it! and pls let me know how it turned out!

- - - Updated - - -

Not sure if sealed bag method helped it to some extent.

Have you tried this with different species?

Back