What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wind Damage

Not a Number

Hello, I must be going...
Staff member
While Sarracenia pitcher leaves are still flat and just before they begin to expand or open they are vulnerable to wind damage. This is one of those years when I am getting quite a few broken pitchers.

S. 'Hummer's Okee Classic' - having recovered from being divided last year pitchers are easily going well above the 12-14 inch mark.
IMGP2334_zpsvix7nnmh.jpg

A MacGyver Fix aka Jury Rigged aka Field Modification aka Mickey Moused depending on your age or social group - masking tape :-D
IMGP2335_zps8vxiiiof.jpg

The smaller pitcher was damaged severely enough that the "cast" will probably not help. It's too tight regardless for the area of growth. In some cases if the damage is not to bad the tape can be removed after the pitcher opens.

You didn't draw little vfts onto their band-aids? They're not the cool kids with just the plain ones...

Band aid design is irrelevant, thez yo. Also, your hummer's okee classic looks like Leucyphylla.

There's a pot of S. leucophylla Hurricane Creek, AL next to the S. 'Hummer's Okee Classic'. I only repot and divide one clone at a time as to not mix up the tags.

Here's a pitcher from a few years ago:
IMGP5912.jpg

That explains it.

yes mine have been blown over as well. most likely will get a shock tonight with the temps as well. :-/

I get wind damage on occasion, but in my typically low humidity once the pitcher is bent, even with attempted fixing it will stay kinked....more of concern right now is that everything outside is getting soaking wet and cold over several days here, and there were a few that were already looking a bit sad; praying this doesn't make them rot fully through.

Follow-up: The one I thought was a write-off held up with the tape removed. Just the opposite for the other. So much for my diagnostic skills.

IMGP2532_zps50ye4mov.jpg

Back