What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cephalotus in LECA

I potted this ceph in LECA about a month ago. Thanks for looking!

Before:
8d7d70b42294069c012d72708f170a29.jpg

After:
d34ad18b40cc74bd133c76baaed6d54e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Looks very healthy! I've been reading about LECA but I think it would be a more attractive option for me if the pellets were a bit smaller.

Nimbulan,

Please post if you find smaller pellets.

I'm also seeking smaller grains. I'm worried that the large airspace gaps will make it too dry for the rhizome during summer weather.

ZooMed HydroBalls are about half the size, but I'm seeking even smaller grain.

I'm also growing in Turface, but that is more like small gravel than pellets.

Thanks!

Please forgive my ignorance. What, exactly, is the difference between LECA and any rock in my backyard?

LECA is a heat-expanded clay - a similar process to how perlite is made. It's very lightweight and will absorb (some) water. I believe it also holds nutrients well which is good for non-CP plants.

Thank you, nimbulan.

Last edited:
They look healthy. Thank you for sharing.

October 2016 update. Thanks for looking!

74148b8fd6365b8aec84f48622cd97de.jpg

It looks like they've made some nice progress. How often do you have to water during the hotter months with such a loose media?

It looks like they've made some nice progress. How often do you have to water during the hotter months with such a loose media?

I try to water everyday, but don't always remember to.

Back