What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Flowering sarracenia

Hi everyone!
My sarracenia purp. Is flowering en mass, 6 flowers. I have had this particular plant for over 5 years and it was an adult when I got it so, it's an older plant. It has been doing very well over the years and has grown so big I had to put it into a 24 inch pot last year. I was wondering if I should try to get some seeds from it or just cut the flowers off.
I keep it outside in summer and I gets an enormous amount of insects during its growing period, hundreds of insects each summer are caught so i think it's gets a lot of nutrients. I just don't want it to get weak or God forbid, die on me as I have grown very attached to this plant.
Any suggestions?
Oh, and the pitchers it puts out are massive! It made some 8 inch long pitchers last year, the biggest I've seen for a S.purp.
Thanks!
Don

Go for the seeds!

Why would it get weak and die? It's a common misconception that flowering weakens carnivorous plants, though it can slow their growth down a little. Flowering is only dangerous for plants that are already weak from pests, disease, or poor care.

Since your plant seems like it's pretty healthy, I wouldn't worry about it weakening and then dying if you pollinate it.

Should I pollinate it or should I let the insects try to do? I can see some pollen has fallen already.

I'd do it yourself to be sure. The insects where I live don't seem to care about Sarracenia flowers so I won't get any seeds unless I intervene.

Unlike most sarracenia varieties my S. purpurea either self-pollinate or get pollinated by bumble bees every year, I don't have to intervene at all. S. rubra jonesii also readily self-pollinate for me. If you want to hand-pollinate between your purpurea flowers (will get better seed set if you do), here is a video on how to do it How to Pollinate Sarracenia Flowers - YouTube

Because of the way sarracenia flowers are constructed I have only seen bumble bees be able to get into them, other flying insects such as honey bees and flies are not strong enough.

Last edited:
Back