What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I could use some advice for these ill Sarracenias

Hello kind people-
I keep losing my sarracenias! I've successfully grown pitcher plants on my deck in Alabama for several years. I keep them outside in full sun most of the year, and let them get rained on, and only water them with rainwater. (From the bottom). Last year, several of my plants were afflicted by what we determined to be red banded thrips: a man from the Alabama agricultural department even visited my plants, because it was so unusual to see those kinds of insects in this area. I repotted and treated the plants with Hi-Yield systemic insect granules (imidacloprid), and only one survived. (The one in the large pot in the photo). I purchased a few more plants, and those have become afflicted and died this summer, though I've seen no evidence of the thrips, and have been treating them with the imidacloprid. The two in the photo are the only ones left, and they're obviously not healthy. They all did fine after they came out of hibernation in the spring, several even bloomed, but they've been going downhill for the past month. I did try repotting the big one; I was concerned the perlite I got from a local nursery might've had fertilizer in it (even though they claimed it didn't), so I soaked and rinsed it well before mixing it with the peat moss. (50 perlite/50 peat moss) But I have not repotted the plant in the smaller pot: that's as it came from the botanical gardens plant sale. Any suggestions? I'm so distressed and discouraged!

28422049871_8a48c42466.jpg
[/url]Sarracenia by Rachel Wright, on Flickr[/IMG]
27884273923_7361ea46cb.jpg
[/url]Sarracenia (older) by Rachel Wright, on Flickr[/IMG]

I would point the finger at the Imidacloprid. Although I know of people who have successfully used the granulated products I still would suspect that as being the culprit. I've had Cephalotus react badly to drench treatments of Imidacloprid. Of course Cephalotus is not Sarracenia and neither genus has ever reacted in my experience to spraying.

A better treatment might be Spinosad which is quite effective against thrips.

If you suspect the perlite may be a problem perhaps you can locate a source of silica or quartz sand. Look for a coarse grade around #16 sieve size. The smaller the number the larger the grain. Landscaping and construction supply are a good starting point.

Hmm, I just used some imidacloprid as a spray to try to take care of thrips on a couple sarrs. Could this present me with any problems? It was suggested to me on another forum, and is suggested in The Savage Garden as well.

Thanks for your reply, Not A Number! I will definitely look for the Spinosad, and some silica.

They do indeed look to be in a sorry state for July in the Northern hemisphere, it does look like mineral or chemical burn, as NaM suggests a complete re pot of everything with uncontaminated media would be the best way forward, so long as they are not too badly damaged already.
Good luck
Cheers
Steve

Back