What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rehydrating desiccated Sarracenia

Clint

Stay chooned in for more!
Due to some circumstances outside of my control and some people's incompetence when taking instruction, I have about $500 in plants that dried out. I just got home and found them. I. am. livid.

The person who let them dry out is a personal friend and friendship is always worth more than plants, so I am not going to ask for the replacement value or anything. But I do want to save my plants. I just have them soaking in RO/DI water right now. They will probably die but they are still green and dry but leathery and not brown and crispy yet.

Is there anything else I can do to improve my chances of saving them? Is there some surfactant I can go buy tomorrow? I have never dealt with anything like this. They will probably look like crap next season if they do make it.... I hate setbacks.

Thanks,

Clint

Last edited:
I have an Apex aquarium controller precisely so things like this don't happen to it and I can keep track of what's going on with it wherever I am. Some horticultural company should really invent a plant controller that lets you turn water pumps on and off. Or at the very least I should DIY some automatic top-off water reservoir system for my plants.

Last edited:
can't you program the Apex to water and monitor certain parameters? i've always wondered if you could use an Apex in a grow chamber setup. How are you using yours and what devices is it controlling?

If the rhizomes are still firm, you're fine. I'd say just soak them for a day, pot them back up, and let them grow. It may not be a bad idea to avoid dormancy this winter since they've had such a large setback late in the year.

Unfortunately you can do no more than what you are doing, I wish you the best of luck
Steve

Back