What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia ID

Howdy-

Looking for help with this ID.

TIA!

Best regards, Lisa

Flickr

It reminds me of Dixie Lace, but it looks a bit too dark.

Looks like S. 'Dixie Lace'

From the registration:

This specific clone was selected in 1993. It resulted from a 1988 pollination at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (hereafter UNCC) that germinated in 1989 (seed lot 88-14). The female parent was a natural hybrid between Sarracenia leucophylla and S. alabamensis subsp. wherryi (given the unregistered horticultural name "Cotton Patch") collected in Perdido, Alabama in 1985 and grown at the McMillan Greenhouse at UNCC. The pitchers resemble S. leucophylla, although only up to 30 cm (12 inches) tall, and are distinctly pubescent. The male parent was an artificial hybrid of Sarracenia psittacina and an unknown partner, probably S. purpurea, made by Dr. Warren Stoutamire, and given to the North Carolina Botanical Garden (hereafter NCBG) prior to 1985. That hybrid was unofficially called "Snorkle" and continues to be grown in the collections of both institutions.

Thanks to you both for the quick replies!

Hmmm, not a plant I ever bought by name.... that I recall.

So.... I should look for pubescence on the pitcher. Is this common in cultivation? I would have bought ~2005 or so.

Best regards, Lisa

Not sure if your question about commonality was towards the cultivar or pubescence, so here's both answered :p

I've found some are definitely more pubescent than others, but it really depends on the species/clones you're working with.

Dixie Lace is a well-known cultivar.

I do have some doubts on a solid Dixie Lace ID, as Nim mentioned, the venation on this one is a bit darker than what I typically think of, but could be conditions.

It could also be some form of S. × wrigleyana or other complex hybrid. In which case an exact name or parentage are probably not documented.

Last edited:
'Dixie Lace' is not x wrigleyana, nor is this plant, but it is a psittacina hybrid; without a certainty that the appearance matches the 'Dixie Lace' description and without any knowledge of its origins, it is to remain labeled as a NOID; there are several psitt hybrids with similar appearances: x formosa, gilpinii, and psittiata, to name a few, and complex hybrids make ID ever harder

Last edited:
Doesnt seem to fit with the Dixie Laces I have

Cheers
Steve

'Dixie Lace' is not x wrigleyana, nor is this plant, but it is a psittacina hybrid; without a certainty that the appearance matches the 'Dixie Lace' description and without any knowledge of its origins, it is to remain labeled as a NOID; there are several psitt hybrids with similar appearances: x formosa, gilpinii, and psittiata, to name a few, and complex hybrids make ID ever harder

Wasn't claiming 'Dixie Lace' was x wrigleyana, notice the "or complex hybrid" in my statement and my inclusion of the parentage/registration info above, however I could understand the confusion :)

I am curious what makes you doubt the potential of a psitt x leuco cross though? E: I assume this is probably due to the lack of white, which is a fair critique.

Out of S. x formosa, gilpinii, and psittiata, I would say it doesn't strike me as any formosa I've seen. And psittiata just seems like a more uncommon cross on markets, but could definitely be a possibility. S. x gilpinii seems most possible for a non-leuco, non-complex hybrid.

The reds on this one are definitely not like most 'Dixie Lace' I see around, however there are a few from growers like Hampshire Carnivores that have a similar appearance.

Last edited:
You will never find a x wrigleyana with such a paucity of areoles; 'Scarlet Belle' is probably at the low end of white coverage ('Chagall' is closer to the high end). As for the link you provided, note the hoods have more areoles still than your plant does, and a lighter background where areoles are absent; the intensity of the red is not necessarily an absolute character, but particulars of shape and the areole coverage tend to be. Also, 'Dixie' tends to almost never open its pitchers, rather the hoods stay closed up, and your plant has a lot of open pitchers.

Just to clarify, not my plant :)

But thanks for the explanation :D

"Your plant" as in you posted the photo of the plant for an ID attempt.

Back