Informational! Informational!:  1
Likes Likes:  3
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is my cephalotus dying??? :-(

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That looks like perfectly normal senescence to me.
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To put it in easy words "pitchers and leafs donít live forever". It looks healthy to me too. I had pitchers which lived for more than two years and others lived only a few month.
    Cant make out why, but the plant gets bigger and bigger.

Another one lost three big pitchers within two weeks, after they went indoor. Now this plant is bigger than before, after only 6 weeks.
    Last edited by axel; 11-21-2016 at 06:21 AM.

Carnivorous plant enthusiast vraev's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree. That looks normal. Keep a look out on the new growth point of the plant (new pitcher budding). If those suddenly go black..then you may have a root issue. For now they look ok. if I were you...I would poke the soil of those pots all the way from top to bottom. That moss typically chokes the media making it anaerobic. You want some O2 to get to the roots.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Axel.

I must have just over reacted, lol . It was the first time this happened, but thank you for your help. Did you have yours outside? if so what were the conditions, ill like to see if i can have mine outdoors sometime of the year instead of all year round in the greenhouse, but I'm afraid this may cause too much stress.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I like this very much vraev. I will do that when i get home from work today. I usually leave the bottom part of the greenhouse open to allow some air but it might not be good enough. Its currently cold in SF and don't want them to get too cold, will putting a small fan in there cause the humidity to get lower?
    Last edited by Ale; 11-22-2016 at 08:15 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Cephalotus are placed in the shade in early spring End of April or earlier. After 4 weeks they go to a place which has sun from the morning until 1 pm

In case we have frost in the night, they come in to the cellar till morning. They probably donít mind light frost too much, but I have dwarf Drosera as company and donít want to take a risk.

In autumn they go into my studio which is generally frost free. For darker colour I have over two pots one LED bulb for 10 hours, 400 lumen cold white 6500 k. 5 watt.
    The others donít have it and apart from the colour I donít see a difference.
    I live in 6b and winter starts late November untill March /April first frost from September to Oktober latest middle of May.
    Last edited by axel; 11-22-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    They will take light frosts without any detriment and if handled properly will take even lower temperatures. I have had them survive to 0F (-18C) although I would strongly recommend that you do not do that as other experienced growers lost their plants at a higher temperature than I was experiencing
    Fred

Quot Homines Tot Sententiae

http://fredg.boards.net/

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12