What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sarracenia germination

• Thread starter osito
  • Start date
Hey all! I have a tray of sarracenia seeds under lights that are just starting to break open from the seed coat!! Only a few have started. When should I remove the humidity dome? Immediately or wait until more have sprouted?

I personally don't understand why people have humidity domes in the first place, unless they're trying to grow carnivores in a desert environment; there is a natural barrier zone along soil surfaces that have higher humidity so long as there is not strong wind, and seeds will germinate just fine without any added humidity compared to adult plants.

I would second that. I only use elevated humidity for Nepenthes seeds since I don't keep those in a water tray and I want to keep the moisture level as consistent as possible. I would just go ahead and take the dome off now so you don't have to worry about adjusting the seedlings later.

I remove covers once they sprout.

Hey all! I have a tray of sarracenia seeds under lights that are just starting to break open from the seed coat!! Only a few have started. When should I remove the humidity dome? Immediately or wait until more have sprouted?

Leave it on for a month. They can dry up and die very fast depending on the conditions outside the dome. Then pull it off for short periods of time...1 hour, then 2 hours, then 3 hours, etc, etc... They grow slow. Enjoy !

Back