What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Self watering container

So, I'm getting ready to repot my Sarracenia collection. It's been a couple of years and some of them need to move into a larger pot. I've got species and hybrids, probably about 20 or so. I'm thinking about putting the smaller ones in one of these. What do you guys think? Herb Planter - Self-Watering Patio Planter | Gardeners.com
Hope the link works!
I use a 50:50 mix of peat and perlite with a top dressing of live sphagnum. I've heard that S. purp. purp. prefers sphagnum and that's what it's in now. Should I keep that as a growing medium and tease all the roots of of the old moss or can I keep some of the old moss and not completely disturb the roots and shock the plant.
Happy growing everyone!
Scott

You can use the planter if you wish but I dont think you will accrue too much gain from it, you can achieve the same effect with a cheaper planter with no holes and put some upturned pots in the bottom with your mix on top.
As far as transplanting goes, Sphagnum that has broken down, is peat, I wouldn't worry about teasing the roots out of the moss, or getting rid of the moss, the roots will do what they need themselves. Plant it in Sphagnum by packing it loosely round the existing root ball and moss.
Cheers
Steve

I hate those "self-watering" planters. They are especially bad for more sensitive plants, and the water in them often turns stagnant and can make the media turn for the worse. I'd recommend just putting your little sarrs in normal pots that are deep enough for their roots to expand in.

Thanks Steve, I potted the S. purp. purp in long fibered sphagnum moss in a larger pot. I'm sure it will do great!

I'm going with individual pots. I have used the previous generation self watering planter in the past with my small Sarracenias and they did great. Water flows freely out the reservoir when it gets too full so there is no issue with stagnation. I just don't think it's deep enough for large plants. It's the same design they use for tomato plants and I can verify that it works great for that but it's on the pricey side. And I have encountered that really stinky, stagnation issue in the past :0o: Not going that route again!

Last edited:
You could always stand a pot in a tall tray, woth a shutoff valve connected to an RO system. I have something similar in order to compensate for evaporation in my water tank

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Back